How much food for a 4lb rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s’moresthebunny123

Reaction score
I’m wondering how many bowls of food I should feed my 7 year old 4 lb rabbit. He gets unlimited timothy hay of course, as well as one tablespoon of pellets and one tablespoon of herbs. How many bowls of veggies should I feed? I’ve attached the size of the bowl compared to my hand. It says it can hold 9.97 fluid ounces. S’mores has left some in the bowl, but I have more that I prepared. Should I give it to him still or is one bowl enough?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1
If he is one of those bunnies that has a sensitive tummy and greens lead to excess cecals that he won't eat, then you might need to cut back. My senior loves them but too much and I got to deal with poopy butt.

Herbs are greens. Think more in terms of "greens" than "veggies." Generally, a rabbit should be slowly increased to getting around 2-4 cups of leafy greens (this includes herbs like basil, mint, cilantro, etc.). New greens should be introduced slowly and one type at a time. This is to look out for reaction (mushy poos) to any particular green. Some rabbits (as @cuteus mentioned) may get mushy poos with a particular green. If that happens, then don't feed that particular green again.

Pellet amount should be adjusted based on your rabbit's body condition. If he's in good condition, then keep pellet amount the same. If he's on the thin side, increase the amount.

For an overall summary of diet (including how to introduce greens safely -- as well as a list of acceptable greens) check here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html

Latest posts

Back