How much does everyone spend on their bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that I do not spend NEARLY that much every month. Here is my guess for costs (I have only had one rabbit for 3 weeks and the other for less than a week).
Pelits-$10 every month or 2
Hay-$8.75 every 5-6 months (I bought a 60lb bale)
Toys-free to $3 a month (dollar store)
Zip Ties- $5 every month at the most (I use to make hay racks)
Oatmeal-$3 every montth
Bedding- $15 every month (I use kaytee soft granule blend)
Doggie poo bags- Free (I use these when I clean the cage every day).

Total monthly cost... $34.75- $32.45. I did not include vegies in this because vegies will be the ocasional treat. NOT an everyday thing. (I do not go to the grocery store often enough to always have fresh veggies.)

Hmm, when I worked it out on paper for the past year, it was over $6500 for the past year, but we had some major vet bills to jump that up as well.

I must be doing something right. Since my mom has 2 other rabbits plus guini pigs plus mice she supplies most our needs. :D

Hay, pellets & litter - Mom Free

veggies about $5 a week.

toys & toys about $5-$10 month if that.

And trust me Twigs is SPOILED!

rokinmyownsox wrote:
According to my husband, too much.
According to the bunnies, not enough.
According to me, somewhere in the middle. :p

Yep, that sounds about right.

Actually our bunnies are the least expensive to house/maintain of our animals.... well except for the horses.

Pellets - I believe it was roughly $20 the last time I bought a 50lb bag. That lasts about 3 months with 3 rabbits.

Shavings - $7 a bag which also lasts about 3 months.

Bale of hay - $10 which lasts 3 or so months.

So... around $40 every 3 months, which isn't bad. I was spending a lot more when I was showing & breeding!

Emily

We are very lucky here as things for the rabbits come at a very good price.

We get 15kg and we pay 16euros. (The guinea pig one is 23 euros)

We get a very large bag of hay for 8 euros and then I add 2 smaller bags of various grasses that are 2 for 5 euros.

Veggies, I am not really sure because it really fluctuates depending on when and where I get them from but that's the more expensive thing.

Shots here are decently priced and the buns only get that once a year now, teeth trims are 5euros but so far Crumble hasn't been requiring anymore. Our biggest expenses have been the air purifiers and their housing but other than that, owning rabbits here has been extremely less expensive than it was for me in Montreal.

Its good for me because i work in a pet shop (a little local one, we don't sell pets and never will :)) so the for all the pellets, hay and treats i get them very cheap. Like the 10kg pellets are supposed to be £12 but i get it for £6, the hay is supposed to be £4.99 but i get it for £2 :)

I'm estimating because I haven't had a chance to figure out how long each of these items lasts.

Oxbow Young Rabbit Pellets-- $15-$30
Oxbow Timothy-- $40 per month
Fresh veggies-- $10 per week (though this varies greatly depending on my own grocery list because if I'm buying a lot veggies for myself, she just gets some of that)
All Pet Pine litter-- $20 a month
Toys-- $20 a month
Treats-- $5 a month (banana chips and Cheerios)

rokinmyownsox wrote:
According to my husband, too much.
According to me, somewhere in the middle. :p

According to my mom, that's enough.
According to my dad, somewhere in the middle.
According to me, the bunnies need a hotel!

Martins rabbit food: around 15$ for 2 months
Bag of hay: around the same for 2 months.
Litter: $14 every 2-3 weeks(rabbit and rats)
Little things: $10 every 2 months maybe? He doesn't like many toys.
Veggies: $10-15 for 2 weeks.
Vet: Very little. He's never been sick but has gone in for 2 check ups and a nail trim in the year I've had him. No more than $150.
Cage upgrades: $25 every few month.
Total is around $80/month probably.

I've had my rabbits for four months and so far

Housing setup: $280
Bedding: $65
Food: about $70
Vet: about $200
Misc (toys and things): about $20

It adds up! =P Now I have housing sorted up, I think I'll be putting as much as I can into the savings account for surprise vet bills.

too much, lol. for my own sake, I'm not about to sit down and itemize it... let's just say my little bunnies are very spoiled!

Latest posts

Back