How much does a vet visit & spay/neuter cost for a Rabbit?

Discussion in 'Rabbit Veterinarian List' started by rabbitlover2019, Aug 13, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Sep 24, 2019 #41

Anna R.

Anna R.

Anna R.

Supporting Member

You might want to try the humane society. They offer spay and neuters for a much less expensive price. My vet quoted me $500 for a spay. I called the human society and it was $90. Quite a difference. And, they do SO many per year, so they are experienced. Something you might want to check out if you have one (HS) in your area.

2. Sep 25, 2019 #42

MIKEP

MIKEP

MIKEP

Both my bunnies had the neuter done today. Now they are resting. It cost me MYR 350 to fix both, which is roughly USD 83.

The doc gave briefing prior the surgery and said there were 50% chance of the bunnies allergic to the anesthetic that could result in death and also 50% chance the bunnies could still reproduce after neuter.

I blinked my eyes for few sec...

Attached Files:

3. Sep 25, 2019 #43

Anna R.

Anna R.

Anna R.

Supporting Member

:eek: WOW...!! Why even have it done? 50% chance it doesn't work and they could die? I don't like those odds. I hope your buns are doing well after their surgery. Perhaps there is a better vet in your area for the future.

4. Sep 25, 2019 #44

MIKEP

MIKEP

MIKEP

Such an odd right? I dunno if 50% is medical theory or what but in reality, could be like only lesser than 10% of such tragedy would happen. That's rather more comforting.

My buns are doing well. They may be less energetic but they are eating and drinking which is good sign.

20190925_203758.jpg

5. Sep 25, 2019 #45

Anna R.

Anna R.

Anna R.

Supporting Member

Glad to hear all is well. What amazing color on your bun, simply beautiful (or handsome!). :)

MIKEP likes this.
  6. Sep 26, 2019 #46

Imbrium

Imbrium

Imbrium

Jennifer

I don't even know what to say to that o_O. House Rabbit Society gives a mortality rate of 0.1% due to complications from anesthesia when done by a properly experienced rabbit vet. As for the "50% chance they could still reproduce," the vet is wrong in the other direction (as well as leaving out the other half of that caveat) - it takes 6-8 weeks for a male rabbit's hormones to fully dissipate after a neuter and during that time, they can still potentially impregnate an unspayed female. After 8 weeks, though, none of them should be able to reproduce.

7. Sep 26, 2019 #47

MIKEP

MIKEP

MIKEP

Oh well probably. Both the vets look young and could be intern, I was in direct contact with their professor and perhaps he would have explained better.

Anyway. 2nd day after the surgery, they looked mighty fine. I came home in the evening to find they have devoured all the pellets, vege and alfalfa hay. They still not keen with the Timothy hay.

20190926_192814.jpg

8. Sep 26, 2019 #48

Thamanna

Thamanna

Thamanna

At Vets4Pets, a spay costs £60 and a neuter was £40. But one of my buns was adopted from Pets at Home and with adoption, they give you a voucher for free a neuter or spay with Vets4Pets.
    They did a super job, and the price included two post op appointments and pain medication for a few days following the procedure.

Redrabbit likes this.
  9. Nov 3, 2019 #49

BlueberryMuffin

BlueberryMuffin

BlueberryMuffin

Hi there! Would you share which vet you used for your little guy? I'm not too far from Mechanicsburg. How was the experience? TIA!