How much cat food is too much?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
I know ultimately, you wouldn't want your rabbit to eat cat food. Ellie eats some cat food almost daily.
I WOULD pull it up, but I have cats that come in and out all day long and I've found that if I put the food up I forget to put it down and they don't eat!
Plus I have two old cats who can't jump higher than the couch or bed anymore, so I can't put it on the washing machine like I used to.

She's not gorging on cat food or anything, but eats like 1-3 kibbles a day of cat food and about the same with the dog food.
I know its not good! But how much would hurt her?

She eats a lot of hay and her regular pellets, with some greens here and there. She drinks a good amount of water and poops regularly.
She just happens to like the cat food a little bit too much. haha.

Thanks guys! Do anyone else's rabbits eat cat or dog food?

Without living in your house, it's tricky to offer suggestions on how to fix this. Cat food definitely isn't good for bunnies (or dogs). It also sounds like the cats and dogs have easy access to your rabbit which makes me uncomfortable. My buns have lived with some very nice dogs, but I would never trust them alone together.

Eating cat or dog food is not good for rabbits. It is too high in protein and fat and they can't really digest meat.

Is there anyway you can block off the cat food? NIC grids could work to fence it in. The cats should be able to jump over, but the rabbit probably won't. If you have an area the rabbit can't or won't go, that could be an option as well.

Ellie stays in the kitchen, with the cat and dog food. I have a baby gate in the kitchen door way to keep her in and my kid out. My dog jumps over to get to his food or to the back door to get out.
I don't have a table in there to put the food on and the only place up high I could put it would be on the washing machine.
A lot of the time Ellie isn't free range, I have her fenced into one area, but right now I'm in the middle of reorganizing my house and I don't want the play yard fence in the way.
I guess I could just put the food up for a while and then put it back down when the cats wake up or whatever. She doesn't mess with the dog food as much, but that has to stay down because I have a weird dog who has eating issues as it is.
I've tried to put the cat food on the other side of the baby gate, but then my son gets into and starts to hand me cat food piece by piece. haha. So that didn't work out.
I can try to find like a stool or short something to put in the floor and put the cat food on there. So it would be shorter hop for the cats but it might deter Ellie from getting up there too. But thats giving her a lot of credit. haha.

And my dog and cats don't mess with each other or mess with the rabbit. I have three inside/outside cats and they're all very patient with Ellie. I have one who is a mama to everything and grooms Ellie and steals Ellie box to sleep. One whose fat and doesn't jump well and she could care less. And the other one, who lays in the floor with Ellie and cleans her. And the dog doesn't care one bit about any of them. He and Foo used to sleep together in the same bed and there was never an issue. He has a higher prey drive, but has never made a move for my cats, chickens or rabbit.

It's tricky without seeing your home or the agility of your cats/rabbit. Something like a narrow bar eg 3" to walk up would suit a cats movement but be tricky for a rabbit to hop.

It's tricky without seeing your home or the agility of your cats/rabbit. Something like a narrow bar eg 3" to walk up would suit a cats movement but be tricky for a rabbit to hop.

Thats a good idea! My cats could do that easy, but Ellie might have an issue.
I'll look into making something like that for the cat food bowl. I need to get my dog a dog food stand too, so his food is off the floor so its easier for him to eat and Ellie can't get into it.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back