How much cage room does a flemish need?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi

Reaction score
I was thinking on getting a Flemish, but I have no clue how big of a Cage one would need. My current bun, has a 4'x4' exo pen with 5 story ferret cage. I am not sure if this would be enough or if more room would be needed.

Minimum for a Flemish should be 4x3, about 2 ft high, bigger always being better. Its doable to have a smaller cage if the Flem gets lots of out time. I have two, and my cage is 8x4 with a 2nd floor and personally I thinks its a little overkill. You could easily forgo a cage and just get an X Pen if a cage is inconvenient.

This is my current set up.

bunny031_zps85208242.jpg

Any new rabbit would need its own set up regardless of what you currently have until a bond is guaranteed. And theres no guarantee the 2 rabbits ever will. A flem definitely wouldnt be able to make use of the ferret cage. And the sides of the pen are a bit low. Mind you my two are the size of your current boy and theyd hop that with ease haha.

I know a Flemish wouldn't be able to use the cage and I have a second x-pen I can add to the current once their bonded making the x-pen area 8'x8'. the sides of the x-pen is 30" or 2.5 ft tall. My current bun is a lazy butt with more interest in lounging or racing than jumping, the highest I ever seen him hop is on top of his box (11 inches), I can leave his x-pen door open and he won't even try to get out, if I want him to come out to free hop around the house I have to go in pick him up and carry him out and put him on the floor outside his pen and only then does he get curious and explore.

I've actually got a baby flemish, and I had planned on using a 30" high X pen as his cage once he grows out of the one he's currently in. I think using the second X pen would be fine as long as you let him out of his cage enough. My bun is out whenever I'm home to supervise, and only in the cage while I'm at school or work.

My main hope is to have both my current and any new ones as House bunnies giving the full range of the living and dining room areas with pen for night and when we're not home. So lots of out of pen time.

Latest posts

Back