How many veggies for BunBun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBun71

Reaction score
Hello, everyone
I was wondering how many (much) veggies I should give BunBun per day?
He weighs 5.6 pounds (about) if that helps.
I'm just not sure how much is good for him.....

Thanks!

Over the years, I've found that too many fresh veggies are a problem for a rabbit's gut (especially as they age). Now I don't offer any at all and instead offer dried fruit and veggies in small amounts. Here's the diet that I've been using successfully for over a decade:

- unlimited Timothy hay
- unlimited water
- a total of 1/3rd cup of extruded timothy hay pellets a day per rabbit
- dried thin slices of apple (do not feed them the seeds, since they're poisonous)
- dried thin slices of carrot The apple and carrot are measured out each day.

Each rabbit gets five or six slices of apple/carrot a day. If you were to give your rabbit non-dried foods, here are some that seem to work well (in moderation):
- carrot tops
- parsley

Over the years, I've found that too many fresh veggies are a problem for a rabbit's gut (especially as they age). Now I don't offer any at all and instead offer dried fruit and veggies in small amounts. Here's the diet that I've been using successfully for over a decade:

- unlimited Timothy hay
- unlimited water
- dried thin slices of apple (do not feed them the seeds, since they're poisonous)

Each rabbit gets five or six slices of apple/carrot a day. If you were to give your rabbit non-dried foods, here are some that seem to work well (in moderation):
- carrot tops
- parsley

Again, I'd have to disagree. The House Rabbit Society recommends 2-4 cups of fresh greens daily. The RWAF (Rabbit Welfare in the UK) also recommends fresh greens to be 2nd in diet after hay. I have kept rabbits since the late 1980s and have never had a rabbit have any problems with greens.

Any fruits or carrot should be viewed as treats only. If offered at all, they should be severely limited because of their high sugar content. If they are dried, they should be offered even less because the drying concentrates the sugar.

Greens, on the other hand, have more nutritional value to a rabbit's diet than fruit. As with any new food, each type of new green should be introduced slowly.

I give Lucy (4 lbs) 2 cups. I give our Silver Foxes (does around 8 lbs and bucks around 9 or 10) 2 cups as well because these are breeders/ meat rabbits so they're diet consits more of pellets (if they were just pets ofc they'd get fed more but we don't want them to have any excess fat). Lucy gets 1/2 cup of pellets and a sprinkle of oats (1/4 cup each of our 2 kinds of pellet) when she finishes her pellets from the previous day or whatever sometimes it takes her 2 days to finish them.

- unlimited Timothy hay
- unlimited water

- carrot tops
- parsley
I’ve been feeding my rabbit 2 cups per day of greens and she’s had no problems. It all depends on the greens you give them and whether or not it has too much calcium, or feeding too many pellets (I give mine 1/4 cup a day). There are certain greens that can cause stomach issues and some that should not be fed to them at all and then there are others that are fine to eat on a daily basis.

Latest posts

Back