How many pregnancies...?! Please help...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naraku

Reaction score
Hi,

I do not mean to sound dumb, but I have a problem (or maybe I just worry too much). I have this10 or 11-month-old Doe named "Sara", and she is having her 5th or 6th littler (mostly guesses; I am too tired to do all the Math right now).Each time, she had become pregnant hours or days after each litter. Last month, her entire litter died. I know that it is my fault that she gets pregnant, but I try my BEST to keep she and "Gary" seperated...I really do try, however, Gary and Sara both see to it that she can break out of her Cage-- they made the Cage to a point where I have to use wire and such to keep it closed.

Sara is a black Netherland Dwarf/New Zealand Mix; and she is fairly big. Gary is her Father, but he is a "Siamese Sable" or gary Rabbit with a dark brown face, tail arms and legs, and he is a lot smaller. We cannot afford to buy a Cage for Gary,so, he has tolive in the same Room with Sara, and his Sisters.

Anyway, what I really want to know is, can Sara die early due to getting pregnant too much, too soon? If I can prevent it, how?? I love her, and I want her to live along and healthy life.

If anyone can please help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

I takes a lot out on her to have so many babies. Why not keep Gary in a seperate room? They CAN breed through the cage wire. What do you do with all the babies?

Sharon

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
I takes a lot out on her to have so many babies.Why not keep Gary in a seperate room? They CAN breed through the cage wire. What do you do with all the babies?

Sharon
My Father will not let me keep Rabbits in the House...He believes that Rabbits are filthy creatures that can easily make us sick (which is not true at all). Plus, Gary smells anyway... The Rabbits live in a Tool-shed, by the way...

Oh wow...They CAN breed through a Cage?? I never knew,so I guess this is why I never expected 90% of her pregnancies...Thanks for telling me!

As for the Babies, I try to keep SOME OF THEM, but I cannot afford to take care of an entire litter for longer than 2 months. I sell them to the Farm Supply/Pet Store, and when I am DESPERATE, I will give a few to the Humane Society. However, when I do get a few dollars for the Babies, I use it to buy food for the Rabbits that I already have^_^ Fortunately, they "Sell out" fast at all locations, so I think they go to good homes. Besides, Rabbits are Hawaii's 2nd favorite Animal.

Thanks for the reply.

Peace!

The easiest and cheapest way to keep them from breeding is to get a cage for Gary. Otherwise you may behaving to keep more rabbits. Also, does can have problems while giving birth, are you prepared to take her to the vet if she has a problem?

Sharon

Starlight is right- constant pregnancies takea lot out of the doe. Any chance you could spay her and/or neuter Gary? You may be able to find a shelter or rabbit rescue that would provide a low-cost neuter.

Your colored typing is pretty, but is hard to read.

Yes, having so many litters can be very hard on your doe. And a doe can become pregnant immediately after giving birth if exposed to a buck. And yes, they can breed thru the wires. I've not had it happen, but others have.

If you REALLY want to show your love for yourSara and "Smelly Gary", you will somehow provide separate housing for your rabbits and/or spay and/or neuter. The money that you spend on the housing and/or spaying/neutering will pay itself back in the long run in less money to put out for feed for unplanned rabbits. And if Gary were neutered, you would notice a lot less smell coming from him.

Wood can be used to build hutches. If you could get your hands on a "chicken battery", you could hang it above the floor in your tool shed and have an excellent place for one rabbit. If your dad won't do this ... do you have a friend's dad who would build a couple good wire cages for you ... cages that you could hang for yourSara and "Smelly Gary?"

And what about other rabbits? You mentioned Gary's sisters? So what happens when they start having babies? Or have they already? Every 30-32 days, they can have a litter in a case where they are constantly with a male. If you have mistakenly sexed them, and they are bucks, there is going to be some severe fighting going on. You have a problem of major consequences here, the way I see it.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back