How many litters per year do you try to get from your does?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I'm thinking about cutting back to 3 litters per year per doe (roughly).....and giving them more time "off" in between litters...but I'm debating on the pros and cons of this.....

So I thought I'd ask y'all what you do?

Peg

I guess I never think about how many litters I want per doe. I just either breed for Convention/Nationals or if I want a certain cross. So my does have varying times between breeding. Some are re-bred when they wean their kits some are re-bred when their kits are 3 weeks old.... depends on what I need at the time.

(Hi Berlena!! Welcome to the forum!:bunnydance:)

On average, I get 4 litters per year, per doe. Like Berlena, sometimes I breed for and around specific dates - Mini Rex Nationals are at the end of April, so I've got all my litters due within the next couple weeks so that I will not have any babies in the nestbox when I'm gone.

Normally, I rebreed my does when thier litter is 6-8 weeks old... but this month they'll have an "extended" break - I'll breed them the week before Nationals so I'll have pregnant rabbits (no newborns), and then I can palpate when I get back and rebreed if necessary.

Who ever thought breeding rabbits would take soo much work & planning... .

ILOVE what I do!

I am so glad someone asked this. My himi doe has only two surviving kits from her first litter. I was hoping to rebreed her. However, some have said to only breed your does once a year... Anyone else hear this?

joanster wrote:
I am so glad someone asked this. My himi doe has only two surviving kits from her first litter. I was hoping to rebreed her. However, some have said to only breed your does once a year... Anyone else hear this?
If you want to keep your does productive you would need to breed more than once a year. Re-breed as soon as your kits are weaned or even before they are weaned. She will be fine as long as she is on a good feeding program and has fresh water at all times.:D

Latest posts

Back