How many hours of run time?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiaraPatricia

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was just wondering what your opinions are. For a rabbit (lionhead, 3.5lbs), who has a 6ft X 2.5ft (180X75cm) cage, how long do they need access to a run? 4 hours a day, all day, all day and night?

Obviously all day would be best, if the run was attached to the hutch, but how long minimum, should they have access to a run?

I've been told the minimum out time should be 4 hrs. Those buns lucky enough to have runs attached to their cage so they can come and go as they please might do ok with less time out but they would not get as much of your time.

I plan to give my rabbits 4x4 pens, a bit bigger if/when any bond. After altered of course. Mind I need to figure how to make them stackable. I only have so much floor space, and each "pen" would be about 2 feet tall. Right now I try to give each rabbit about 1 hr to run, but that is because none are altered yet. Burnie has an appointment for the 20th and I need to finish putting together the money for Diamond's spay. Then get started on the other 2's alters. I prefer to have the procedure prepaid then I have no issues with my vet. Oops, got off topic, sorry. Anywho I believe the minimum run time they should have is around 4 hrs.

I personally would leave the cage door open as much as you can. But 6 feet by 3 feet it a lot of room for one lion head. So he may be happy not to leave his cage at all.

Thanks. I have rabbits outdoors, but they're not all bonded, so have three cages made in the shed (2 bonded rabbits in one, one single rabbit in the other two), each about 6ft X 2.5ft, so I could either attach runs to the shed, but the runs would be smaller too fit three by the side of the side, or let them take turns in a big run. :) If they take turns though, they might each only get outside every second day, because I can't be switching them around all the time when I'm not home. Unless I get a second run, yeah I think I should. :) (The runs are safe to be used when I'm not supervising.)

Right now I have them taking turns in a run, the good thing about that is they can go out on the grass. The bad thing is they have to be carried to the run, and some don't like that! And that they don't have access to it all day.

I'm thinking I'll get a second run though so two rabbits can be out at one time, so they have company when in the run, and that everyone gets out for half the day. :) I can put one pair out in the morning, and one in the evening. I might even be able to join the runs together for the bonded pair. And I think I'll have them on the grass because there is more space, but can move them to the concrete if they eat all the grass or dig!

Thanks guys :) Just wanted to make sure that space was ok for them.

i just made it easy and gave mine a room to himself so that he's got literally the ultimate cage and open the door so he can have the house in the day. though if it weren't so darn hot he would still be in the living room. his new room is in the basement so its nice and cool for him :p

That sounds amazing, lucky bun! I can't have mine inside though because I live with my parents, and there are too many of them (rabbits, not parents!) and there wouldn't be the room. I'm sure they like it outdoors though, I wish I could let them free range but I have 6 cats :)

Any chance you could bond the singles? That make it easier... otherwise your plan sounds good to me. Some time out each day is best. Rabbits like routine so if you can arrange it so they have a similar time out each day they'll be happier otherwise they tend to think they should be out and get annoyed :)

If they dig you can lay mesh over the grass so they can't tunnel out :) Might be easier to do before you put the runs in. The grass grows through so they can still graze too :)

I can't bond them I'm afraid, but they like being next to each other fine :)

Thanks, I'll make sure to put them outside at the same time everyday.

And if they do dig, I can put the run on the patio :) They're easy enough to move around. One rabbit loves to dig but doesn't like eating grass, so it's fine. :) The concrete helps wear down their nails too, so it works out well. :)

A rabbit should have access to an outdoor run everyday that is at least 6 foot long, 4 foot wide and 2 foot high. However bigger is better. Mine are out for about 12-14 hours everyday unless it is raining! :) Emma xx

mines live in the room next to the yard so once we let by bunny out of his cage and open the yard door he takes off and enjoys the yard for the whole day until it gets dark we bring him inside his room. than we let him chill in the room until around 10ish or 11ish is his bedtime and we tell cookie to go back inside his cage. he sure gets lots of outside time of his cage haha.

Emma Lassey wrote:
A rabbit should have access to an outdoor run everyday that is at least 6 foot long, 4 foot wide and 2 foot high. However bigger is better. Mine are out for about 12-14 hours everyday unless it is raining! :) Emma xx

Wish that was possible but for some of us sadly it isn't.

I have to reconfigure out time now with bondings that happened.:shock:

Mine can run in our garden, which is rabbit secured so they can't get out. They rotate almost all day, and when it's not their turn to run free, they're in their cages that are 98*44 cm big :)

Latest posts

Back