How Many days, Baby bunnies should be fed milk from mother rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shahmir hashim

Reaction score
Dear friends, my two female rabbits were pregmant 1sr born 5 bunnies and 2nd born 7 bunnies. my 7 bunnies died because their mother was not taking care of them ans the other 5 died because when the bunnies had their eyes open they came out of their nest boxes, and they did not get their mother milk properly. my last sweet bunny was saved because i hand fed him for some days and he was able to eat and from two days he was out of his box and eating and hopping every where day and nigjt with other young and old rabbits but now tonigh he died.. his tummy was fine when i left him but i remeber today for drinkimg water he jumped in the water pot and started to drink i took hime put cleaned his bottom side with towel dried him them left him to play.. now is there a reason that if a bunny is not properly fed milk and left to eat on its own then what will happen? Will he die because of his weak immune system and improper milk feeding.. I am very sad because i lost my 12 bunnies they were my sweetest guests :(

Hi, they should get mother's milk until they are 8 weeks old, from about 4 week they eat hay as well and start eating their mother's food but very little, by week 6 they eat lots of hay and dry food pellets (should be unlimited and with high protein level min 16%). When they are 8 weeks they can stay on hay and high protein dry pellets (unlimited) until they are 4-6 months old, then they are adults and they would need some changes in their diet.

Their mother also needs very good food during pregnancy and nursing so until they are 8 weeks, as she needs to produce enough milk to feed them. She must get unlimited hay, unlimited (up to 240 gram daily) dry pellets with high protein and calcium, fresh vegetables and a plenty of fresh water. When babies start eating pellets at about 4-6 weeks they also get unlimited pellets so you feed pellets at least 4-6 times a day and good horse quality hay must be unlimited all the time.

They also need proper setup nest box with high sides so they can't leave it and they need to stay in their nest box until they are 2 weeks at least, they need to stay warm all the time and stay together.

Their area must be protected from wind and rain and have fully sheltered area with nest box as well.

I am sorry about your loss I think you just weren't prepared for the babies and their mother's probably didn't have enough food to produce enough milk that's why babies were weak

i took all of these precautions but only the problem of nest box was the short sides of nest box. anyhow i am now making some other nest boxes with tall height that would not be possible for the bunnies to pass by. and there is also another problem that a wide nest box is good or a conjusted box?

If you breed them commercially there are forums for breeders I am sure you could get more help on your issues, here we have mostly pet rabbit forum (I want to believe).
If you google rabbit farming you'll get a plenty of links

i took all of these precautions but only the problem of nest box was the short sides of nest box. anyhow i am now making some other nest boxes with tall height that would not be possible for the bunnies to pass by. and there is also another problem that a wide nest box is good or a conjusted box?

Generally, the kits should be in a nestbox with high sides but not so high that the doe can’t jump out of. The box would normally be big enough for the mother to maneuver. The nestbox needs to be in a cage or pen that the kits can’t escape from.
Once their eyes open they will jump in and out of the box and so if it’s in a pen It keeps them contained. This protects them and keeps them close enough to the mother so they don’t miss nursing. Most of our kits nursed for 5-6 weeks and started nibbling on moms pellets and eating hay at about 2-3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back