How long will a bale of hay last?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bville

Reaction score
I know each rabbit is different as to how much hay they eat, but I just bought my first bale of hay from a farm and am wondering how long it will last. Just looking for some kind of estimate. :eats:

It really depends on how much your rabbits eat and how many you have. I have 9 rabbits plus fosters (usually 1-2), and go through 1 bale a month. I am a bit liberal with the amount I give, so there is waste, but they do eat most of it.

1 bale of hay would last 1 rabbit a bit less than a year, so that can be a good way to see how long it might last.

depends how big the bale is, and how much the rabbit eats. Bales on average range from 40-100lbs... that's a fair bit of difference. Im still working on my 100lb bale 3 years after purchase with 2 rabbits. and numerous flakes sold off.

Yes I agree it really depends on the size of the bale. I also have bales last varying lengths of time depending how Bandit takes to the hay, some he wastes more of, others he wastes virtually nothing of but it's a struggle to get the same type of hay all the time.

The bales that I buy always fit into the boot of my car, and usually consist of about 8 (rough guess from memory) flakes. They tend to last at least 4-6 months I think. Struggling to remember :p But there are a lot of variables.

The bales that I buy are usually around this size: http://media.oregonlive.com/environment_impact/photo/strawjpg-adf43c4df4793c75.jpg

Last edited:
I know each rabbit is different as to how much hay they eat, but I just bought my first bale of hay from a farm and am wondering how long it will last. Just looking for some kind of estimate. :eats:
you first must consider proper storage for any amount,--cool,dry place-free of bugs and sunlight,--as you probably already found out the term hay is just that,(a term)--dried grasses-timothy,orchard etc.,I use as their main staple,in their poop boxes,-grass bins for 24/7 service/eating,,--a good fresh bale is always more welcomed than something which has been lying about for and expected to last months...-- sadly ,-I only have eight of my little precious remaining and they will plow through a bale of (140#)- in about 6-7 weeks,--timothy has the greatest high fiber,but I get a mix once in a while with all the extra safe weeds they get ,which will make for a enjoyable high fiber diet,--sincerely james waller :twocents:bunny19:peace:group2::twocents

:thanks: Thanks for your replies everyone. I weighed the bale and it's around 45 pounds. I still have a bag of my old hay to finish before I give them the hay from the bale, but I hope they like it. I got it from a farm down the road where they have an apple orchard and have goats, rabbits, and chickens for people to see when they go to pick apples. I had to ask for it because they don't advertise that they sell bales of hay, but they feed it to their rabbits and goats so I'm hoping it will be tasty to my rabbits.

Latest posts

Back