How Long Until They Become Purebred?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopsAreGreat

Reaction score
I asked a little bit ago about white ear mini lops. I was able to join a group and found a few people who are working on it. Someone had the second generation just born (f2). To get the white eared mini lop, they are mixing Holland and mini. So f1 was 50/50. Then with one from f1, they bred a purebred mini lop to it. That means 75% mini lop and 25% Holland lop. Now I’m confused about f3, and so on. Can someone tell me the next few generation percentages? And how long would it take to get it purebred? I will be getting an f4 from her next year.

I'm not an expert on genetics, but I have the impression that there is some mix up with terms and interpretation, or I'm too much a noob to understand it :D.
I would say, rabbit breeds aren't controlled by a small set of genes like, say, broken or solid. So, 25/75% doesn't make much sense to me in that context.

Also, rabbit breed definition is, as far as I know, rather fluent, if a rabbit looks like that breed, he is of that breed.

So, what you've got there are mutts that are bred to resemble the desired breed more and more, carrying those new white ear genes along, until they look sufficiently like and breed true to this breed - I guess that would be the moment I would call them purebred of some kind.

Interesting experiment nonetheless.

Also, multible threads on one topic just make it confusing and ineffective, you don't get better answers that way.

I'm not an expert on genetics, but I have the impression that there is some mix up with terms and interpretation, or I'm too much a noob to understand it :D.
I would say, rabbit breeds aren't controlled by a small set of genes like, say, broken or solid. So, 25/75% doesn't make much sense to me in that context.

Also, rabbit breed definition is, as far as I know, rather fluent, if a rabbit looks like that breed, he is of that breed.

So, what you've got there are mutts that are bred to resemble the desired breed more and more, carrying those new white ear genes along, until they look sufficiently like and breed true to this breed - I guess that would be the moment I would call them purebred of some kind.

Interesting experiment nonetheless.

Also, multible threads on one topic just make it confusing and ineffective, you don't get better answers that way.
Yes I understand what you are saying, I’m a bit confused as well lol 😆

Latest posts

Back