How long to be away from box & hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry-Bun

Danielle
Reaction score
So... I got Jerry last tuesday, April 1st, and I love him so much already. My idea is to let him be a 'house bunny' whenever I'm home and around to supervise, but when I'm at work or sleeping he's either going to be a) in his cage or b) in a rabbit proofed room (that won't be for a little while from now) My point is I am slowly giving him more and more space so that he gets used to things, but also so that he is littertrained and I can't give him too much space at once.

But, what I've been doing is picking him up while I'm watching TV, and letting him hop around on the couch, but where does he want to hop around? on the back of the couch, and that's fine with me.. he actually usually takes a nap up there for a bit.

Question; How long can I leave him up there napping before I have to worry about his litterbox (i don't want him going the bathroom on my couch) and how long can he be away from his hay as well?

Whenever he seems to be uncomfortable or moving around a lot I end up putting him back in his cage and then I'll take him back out later, but I just don't want to cut his napping short since he seems to like it, and I also don't want him going the bathroom on the couch, and I don't want him to be away from his hay for too long either.

Sometimes a rabbit will give you a bit of a warning they need to pee, by getting restless and starting to scratch at you or the couch. So you can try keeping an eye out for those signs. You could also keep a litter box up on the couch with some hay in it, while he's there with you. Just until you know he's good at using the litter box, and you are more sure of his habits.

So, now the problem with this is... He's up on the back of the couch and theres no way for me to put a litterbox with hay up there.. :\

Plus - wouldn't I then have to worry that he'd start peeing on the couch once he is able to go all over the place, as if he'd expect there to be a box on the couch at all times?

Can he not get down from the back of the couch himself? You could put a litter box on the couch cushion. I wouldn't think that would be too far for him to go as long as he has some litter training. If he is just laying on the back of the couch then I wouldn't think you would have to put him in his cage with his hay and litter box until he gets up and starts moving around.

I would at least put a blanket down on the couch to help protect it if he would happen to pee on it.

Latest posts

Back