How long should I wait to take Twilah to a show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley411

Reaction score
Washington State Convention is 8 weeks after Twilahs due tokindle, is this too soon?

By then the babies will be weaned, but will it be too much stress for her?

Thanks,

~Hayley

It is not the stress so much as her condition. I do not know how she will take it but my does always looked horrible for a few months after kindling. Pulling their fur, dewlap growing huge, mine always seemed to grow longer in body. It just depends on how she takes it.

Depends on when you wean the kits, and it really depends on her condition. I have does that look marvelous 3 days after weaning the litter, and I have does that never quite "snap back" to show condition. (And I have one doe that never loses condition, even when nursing a liter! I could take her off the litter, put her on the table, and she would still place... BUT I wouldn't do that!)

If you wean at 6 weeks, evaluate her and check weight, fur, over-all condition. Evaluate her again a week later. If entries have to be in by then, you base your decision on how she looks that day. Each rabbit is different. Only you know how she looks and how she would handle it.

Well this will be her first litter. So I have no idea how she'll do, I guess I just have to wait and see. If she totally ravages her coat while pulling fur, or just looks completely out of sorts I obviously won't take her.

She most likely wouldn't do great even in prime condition, Jill Pfaff is going and she's major competition.

So I guess only time will tell.

Thanks,

~Hayley

Well, then you have to decide if it's worth possibly stressing her so soon after her litter, to take her to a show. (If she is special, might be worth sitting this one out.)

It will be very special when you can put your own babies (with YOUR tattoo ID) on the table.

Yeah I am really excited to see what she produces. I'm hoping I'll get a couple showable ones. Dutch are tricky with thier markings. I am hopefull though, my friend Kim's dutch had 9 kits and 6 of them had really good markings. But unfortunatly every baby in the litter ended up dying, mom just didn't produce enough milk :(

If I don't end up keeping any I have a couple breeder friendswho are just starting to get into dutch andalready have dibs on a few of the bunnies. So I'll still get to see them on the show table.

~Hayley

Thwe Dutch can be a challenge! My daughter kept them for a number of years. But it is so rewarding to work towards the perfect one! And since they are such wonderful bunnies, they make lovely companion bunnies. It's really excellent if other breeders are waiting for your lines.

It is hard when some don't make it. Have patience and do the best you can. (And photo's would be nice when they are ready!)

Latest posts

Back