Quantcast

How long should I wait for worry about no poops?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

rpuckett

Reaction score
Probably just preemptive worrying that I shouldn't be fretting about. How long should I wait before worrying for a baby rabbit 7-8 weeks old is not pooping. Still eating, drinking, (no urine though, now that I think on it). Yesterday there were poops, urine, tons of eating and binkying and drinking. How long do I go before I start having a panic attack (too late :lookaround ), and at this age I am scared to really introduce more food. I probably just need to wait it out, but it has been a long time since I have had a baby bunny in my presence that I am probably freaking out over nothing.

LakeCondo

Reaction score
Just relax. If there was a lot yesterday, it's probably ok that there is no output today, especially if hay is being eaten. If nothing still by tomorrow AM, then you'd want to call the vet.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
I agree. I would call vet if no poo's tomorrow. The bunny may be stasis. Rabbits are good at hiding pain. I would only feed hay, water and pellets. Are you giving Alfalfa based pellets and alfalfa hay?

Sweetie

Reaction score
rpuckett wrote:
Probably just preemptive worrying that I shouldn't be fretting about. How long should I wait before worrying for a baby rabbit 7-8 weeks old is not pooping. Still eating, drinking, (no urine though, now that I think on it). Yesterday there were poops, urine, tons of eating and binkying and drinking. How long do I go before I start having a panic attack (too late :lookaround ), and at this age I am scared to really introduce more food. I probably just need to wait it out, but it has been a long time since I have had a baby bunny in my presence that I am probably freaking out over nothing.
I have had this issue with Sweetie. She didn't poop all day. I gave her some apple and she pooped. If your rabbit is eating and drinking normally, then it is not stasis. Stasis is when they are not eating/drinking, while not pooping/peeing. Your rabbit is going through constipation. Push the hay and water. You can give a little apple, one wedge and see if he/she can handle it, your rabbit should poop after she/he eats the apple wedge.

If she/he hasn't pooped by morning, then I would call the vet and get an appointment the same day.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
Sorry, when I said stasis, I meant the gut just slowing down. To me that could mean constipation too. But I would worry if no poo's soon.

rpuckett

Reaction score
Well, as soon as I posted, the little stinker went and pooped a pile of pellets that someone her size shouldn't be able to make. I think she does this to get a rise out of me. 0.0; But there are now poops and urine, so strangely, I am a happy camper (Yes, alfalfa hay and pellets). I don't know why, but she eats hay way better then any rabbit I've had before.

Thanks for all the words of "Hey, take a chill pill, sister!" But I at least know I am in the right crowd. Rabbits are always notorious for hiding pain till it is too late, but this young they are extra fragile, so I am always fretting. The little ones are so cute, but so stressful, sometimes. :D

I_heart_Fraggles

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL! Hurray for poops! (Never thought I would say that) We would go threw the same thing with baby Fraggles. She would not poop for a day so I would give her a mil of pineapple juice with some pedylite and BAM poops. She once did 120 poops in a half hour (yes I counted) :)

rpuckett

Reaction score
I think she is a morning and evening pooper. Then I spend all day watching her litter box like, "Poo yet, Pip?" and she is all, "Pet me slave, I am adorable, and I shall not even think of poop so long as you are looking/it is daylight/I feel like it. Also this piece of litter in my cage looks delicious, so I will eat it to make you worry about stasis! Weee!" And then I pass out, because she can be just exhausting.(Or maybe it is just my imagination that she would be exhausting. :p)

Sweetie

Reaction score
LOL! Yes they are very fragile when they are very young.

Katie: I will try pineapple juice and pedialyte next time Sweetie goes through her constipation episode. She only goes through it once a year or so.

rpuckett: I am so glad that your rabbit pooped. May I suggest that you have her vet checked to make sure that she is okay. I did this with Sweetie when she had constipation just in case there was anything else. She turned out to be okay though.

Latest posts