How long it takes to neuter a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juste

Reaction score
Hey all!
So i just wondering how long did you have to wait for your bunny to take him/her home after neuter/spay?
Tomorrow i have an appointment for check up, and then if everything is ok they are going for neuter/spay...aaand i am out of my mind with worry!

I had to wait 4 months because my vet's wife a child. I'm guessing it normally takes about a month.

It's important your rabbit stays with the vet for a short while after s/he wakes up. This way they monitor the rabbit as well, and they determine if they have reacted negatively toward something. Hopefully that won't be the case, but it is good for vets to keep an eye on them a little.
If they're any good at the front desk, you can call in and check on your little one. Ask them at the check-up if you can. I did that, I stressed the entire day and called about 4 times, but all went well. And I hope it does for you too! ❤

It's important your rabbit stays with the vet for a short while after s/he wakes up. This way they monitor the rabbit as well, and they determine if they have reacted negatively toward something. Hopefully that won't be the case, but it is good for them to keep an eye on them a little.
If they're any good at the front desk, you can call in and check on your little one. Ask them at the check-up if you can. I did that, I stressed the entire day and called about 4 times, but all went well. And I hope it does for you too! ❤
Thank you!

A few post surgery tips. It's important to keep them warm as they can get hypothermic following anesthesia. And make sure the vet sends you home with pain meds. I prefer meloxicam at the higher dosage range(0.6mg/kg, twice a day), as it won't slow down the gut like narcotic pain meds, and it will help reduce inflammation. Also, to get your bun eating, I've had the best luck with leafy greens and herbs like cilantro, parsley, carrot greens, dark leafy lettuces, etc. One bun I had to offer a little bit of greens every half hour because he would only eat a small amount and wouldn't eat anything else for 2 days. But it is best to stick with greens your rabbit is already used to so as to not risk causing digestive upset introducing something new. Here's some post surgery care info in rabbits.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html
https://www.vgr1.com/metacam/

So both rabbits are home now. Boy is doing fine. He is drinking, eating a lot, and poop is back to normal.
Now for girl it's different.. in her cage she has self heating mat and blankie. I read the info before that i have to keep them warm, but she just trying to get away from warmth and is laying on the cage tray or litter tray. And she doesn't want to eat. But at least she is drinking water.

I would suggest to keep checking her ears to monitor her temp. She may be maintaining her temp fine and that's why she doesn't want to be on the heating pad. But if her ears feel really cold, you may need to come up with an alternative to help keep her warm. It can take a lot longer for girl buns to get back to eating because the surgery is so much more invasive for them. Though if she's not eating by tomorrow, 24 hours from when she last ate when you dropped her off for surgery, and the vet hasn't already given you instructions for syringe feeding, you'll need to get recovery food and instructions from them on feeding until she wants to start eating on her own.

Ok. Some update on my buns! It is a first day after operation, my girl is more active today, i managed to 'force'? her to eat some basil leaves, not much but still.. she took her medicine happily 🥳 and her poops are still mushy ( yesterday she looked like she's in pain while pooping). Aaand while i am writing here i heard munching in the cage! Yay! She is eating!😅
Now my boy was a lot more active yesterday, today he just sleeps. And he is eating less then yesterday.. i did give him medicine, but not sure if i got everything in his mouth, because he was resisting that syringe.
And i do have one question, on monday vet booked my girl for check up. Do boys don't need to be checked?

Attachments

• 20201003_145619.jpg
    20201003_145619.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201003_161037.jpg
    20201003_161037.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 9
Hope they'll both be okay ❤ it's likely he is tired. but if it continues, and he doesn't seem to be eating much, best to take him in as well. however, rather listen to what Jbun says about recovery food and instructions on feeding.

Hope they'll both be okay ❤ it's likely he is tired. but if it continues, and he doesn't seem to be eating much, best to take him in as well. however, rather listen to what Jbun says about recovery food and instructions on feeding.
Thank you, i will.

From what I’ve heard, it takes a while for them to get back to normal. My rabbit Belle got spayed and we took her out of her cage the next day to change the towels (per the vets recommendation for after surgery) and give her medicine. And then she jumped over one of the (tall) boxes we used to block her off while cleaning the cage! Of course we didn’t let her do it after that, we just weren’t expecting that. She wasn’t eating normally for a few days but she still was eating hay so we let it be. Just make sure if you’re going to introduce them to each other that you wait at least 2 weeks after the surgery. Hope they feel better soon!

From what I’ve heard, it takes a while for them to get back to normal. My rabbit Belle got spayed and we took her out of her cage the next day to change the towels (per the vets recommendation for after surgery) and give her medicine. And then she jumped over one of the (tall) boxes we used to block her off while cleaning the cage! Of course we didn’t let her do it after that, we just weren’t expecting that. She wasn’t eating normally for a few days but she still was eating hay so we let it be. Just make sure if you’re going to introduce them to each other that you wait at least 2 weeks after the surgery. Hope they feel better soon!
Thank you. Floki seems back to his normal self again. And Diva ate a lot of greens today, but she is driving me crazy by chewing her dressing..

I'm glad Floki is back to normal! See if your vet will give you a cone collar for Diva. Just make sure you don't put it on her to tight!
Here is how to make a DIY one:

Latest posts

Back