How long does it take for a claw to grow out??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Toste my outdoor bunny got one of his claws broken off. Don’t know when or how, because I didn’t see any blood the last days/weeks.

I noticed it because I was trimming my outdoor bunnies claws today. Tostes whole claw it’s gone, no bit was left.

I saw it was dirty and black, so me and my dad cleaned it with saline. So we could get a better look and make it clean. Toste started to bleed a lot and struggle, so I couldn’t get a good look at his claw.

I don’t know if he’s black around the wound because of playing with dirt or it’s the wound. Because he love digging or just mess around in the dirt. So his claws are always dirty.

I’m going to try get a better look tomorrow and try to see how it looks like. If it look really bad I will take him to the veterinarian. Even though I really don’t have the economy for it.

But how long does it take for a whole claw to grow out?

Is it common for outdoor bunnies to break their claws?

Both my outdoor bunnies have at least had 2 broken claws during 1 year. My indoor bunny Odin have never had a broken claw.

If it broke it too deep (and broke off the very base of the toenail) it might never grow back. Otherwise it's usually mostly back by around a month and fully back by around 2-3 months, from my experience - though it might grow back with a weird texture or color sometimes. It's not uncommon for rabbits to break a nail off. Make sure the other nails are nice and trimmed though, because there more of a risk of breaking it when they're too long.

Thanks for the tips, the one with a little long claws it’s my indoor bunny. Because they are black, so I only take a little off them when trimming.

My outdoor bunnies have short nice claws.

Latest posts

Back