How long does it take for a bunny to get an upper respiratory infection?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I adopted my baby girl, Storm, 2 weeks ago and she is about 10-weeks old. However, during the first night, I noticed she makes sounds like she is sort of sneezing almost every time she digs through her paper bedding (no ink or fragrances) and timothy hay. She also has a slightly damp nose but it might be from drinking water since we live in the desert.

Other than that, she is EXTREMELY energetic, borderline aggressive in a curious way, runs around in my apartment, jumps on my bed/couch, has clear brown eyes, breathes normally and her poop is fine. I raised over 25 rabbits when I was a kid to my early twenties, and sadly I know all the traits of a sick bunny, which Storm does not fit. However, I have read that it could be the BEGINNING of an upper respiratory infection, and I wanted to make sure she will not have one. I strongly believe that after two weeks, it would have developed already, but obviously I will get her checked out if there is a chance she is getting sick. Also, the lady that I got her from had her inside with her 6 brothers and sisters, with timothy hay instead of bedding. All of the bunnies seemed fine, and they were big for their age.

Any tips would be much appreciated! I apologize if I sound cold or stubborn, I love her and I will not allow her to get sick.

Attachments

• 20181002_211334.jpg
    20181002_211334.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
If she is sneezing while digging in the bedding and hay, I would presume that the sneezing and nasal discharge is from dust. I've found the soft paper bedding quite dusty and it makes me sneeze as well. If it's not the soft paper bedding but the pelleted kind that you use, maybe the hay is dusty and is causing the sneezing.

I wouldn't worry unless she is sneezing on a very consistent basis and it's not while she is digging in something that might be dusty, or if you see sticky white discharge.

If she is sneezing while digging in the bedding and hay, I would presume that the sneezing and nasal discharge is from dust. I've found the soft paper bedding quite dusty and it makes me sneeze as well. If it's not the soft paper bedding but the pelleted kind that you use, maybe the hay is dusty and is causing the sneezing.

I wouldn't worry unless she is sneezing on a very consistent basis and it's not while she is digging in something that might be dusty, or if you see sticky white discharge.
Hello, thanks so much for your input. That makes sense, I was using cheap paper bedding then switched to some pellet "comfort bedding" that said "National Geographic", then it gave me allergies when I was cleaning out the hutch a few minutes ago. If you do not mind me asking, any recommendations for 100% dust free bedding? Also, she also does it after eating wet foods like freshly washed lettuce, kale, etc.

Thanks again, I feel better now, LOL.

Sneezing after eating wet foods could just be the water on them getting up her nose. It can happen when they drink their water too.

I use wood pellet litter topped with hay. I've never had a problem with it seeming dusty, but then I have a soft screen covering it so my rabbits can't dig in it.

Latest posts

Back