how long can i leave her alone?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello! i just adopted a new rabbit who is being spayed and i won’t get her till around wednesday to thursday. not even thinking about it we forgot about our 48 hour trip we will have away from the bunny. should i be concerned about leaving her alone so soon after being spayed?

Definitely! Especially if she doesn't have a bunny companion. You have to feed her on your schedule you've hopefully made for her, , let her out of her cage (if you got her one) for an ample play time and give her a lot of attention if she is a single bunny! Please try and find someone to look after her for the days you are gone. I'm sure the bun will appreciate it. :)

Definitely! Especially if she doesn't have a bunny companion. You have to feed her on your schedule you've hopefully made for her, , let her out of her cage (if you got her one) for an ample play time and give her a lot of attention if she is a single bunny! Please try and find someone to look after her for the days you are gone. I'm sure the bun will appreciate it. :)
thank you! i actually got my brother to at least feed her and look after her while we are away and will probably have a friend come let her out and play with her! appreciate the advice.

That's perfect! Make sure when you come back you give ur bun lots of love. Hope the trip is nice also!! <3

If you are leaving right after she gets spayed, you may want to delay her spay surgery. Close monitoring after a spay is needed. Rabbits have a tendency to stop eating from pain, so you have to closely monitor their recovery and make sure they start eating again within 12-24 hours of the surgery, or it can become an emergency that requires regular syringe feeding until they are eating well on their own again, and they have to be given regular pain meds and possibly other meds post surgery. You also have to keep a close eye to make sure they stay warm, as their body temp drops after anesthesia and they can become hypothermic, which will complicate recovery. You also have to make sure they don't try and rip open their incision site, and you don't want to be letting her out to run around for at least 7-14 days post surgery, as it's an invasive surgery and she needs time to heal.

So you can see it's not just a simple recovery and really needs careful watching to make sure everything is ok for several days following the surgery. This link has some good info on pre and post spay/neuter care for rabbits if you want to check it out.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back