How long are pellets good?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aina

Reaction score
So, I could get oxbow pellets, but it would have to come in a 50 lb bag. Currently I am getting a diferent type of feed in a 25 l bag. It takes me about three months to finish it off, so the 50 lb bag would take half a year. Would they go bad before then? Also storage would be a bit difficult. But it costs about the same as the 25 lbs I am getting right now.
I could get the 10 lb bag, but it would last about a month.
I suppose you would feed a diferent amount for diferent brands, so I really I am unsure how long it would last.

Pellets should be good for several months if stored properly.

Call Oxbow and ask. They'll be happy to tell you about shelflife and storage.

I store my bulk items in their original pacakaging, and tightly seal it with binder clips after opening. Itake out what I need for a few days and keep it in a container in the buns room.
Same with their hay.

~Jim

I buy Oxbow pellets in bulk and then store in smaller containers in the freezer. I've stored it in the freezer for up to 4 months. I think somewhere on the Oxbow web site they have recommendations for storing and lengths of time.

I purchased by the 50lbs from Oxbow....

I fill up about a 5 pound container and keep it in the room with the bunnies for their daily feedings. The rest of the Oxbow gets put into these big buckets from a hardware store with an air tight locking lid. They cost me about $5 each and the two of them hold the 45 pounds of Oxbow left over from filling my 5 pound container.

:)

This is what Oxbow told me when I emailed to ask them the same question:

"There is a 1 year stamped shelf life on our pellets. If you store an unopened package, of pellets, in the refrigerator you will gain an additional 6 month shelf life."

Thanks everyone. I think I may get a bag to see how it goes. I have a container that I use for some of their food in my room and then we have a bucket that has a cool top and can hold 50 lbs of grain that I should be able to use.

Personally, I would be very wary of freezing/thawing anything meant for a bun to eat, due to the possiblity of mold growing in a thawing container of pellets or whatever. It's just not a chance I'm willing to take - I'd rather replenish my pellet store more frequently...

Latest posts

Back