How early is too early (age/ownership) to introduce a new bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectralmoon

Reaction score
Hello! I'm looking at a picture of another bunny up for sale and wondering... is it too soon to bring another bunny home? Little Star is 9-10 weeks old and she's been here for about 3 weeks. The house she was born at held the litter frequently, so she has always been friendly. We get along very well, she's box trained, she is running around on my bed and hasn't peed on anything...

Bunny #2 is a Rex buck, 13 weeks old, and the owner is saying that he's been held every day.

Would it put her into too much stress to bring another bunny home? She's my priority, so this matters a LOT to me. I don't know if there's an age range that she should be at before intro'ing a friend, or a time period that she should have been at my house and be comfortable here before another...

I hope this makes sense. 😅

She should be spayed and healed before attempting to introduce her to another rabbit. That 2nd rabbit should also be fixed. The two fixed rabbits should meet to pre-screen for potential compatibility.

She is too young now and will soon become hormonal. At that time, it is possible the personality you are now seeing will alter -- perhaps dramatically. When rabbits become adults, even those babies that were easy to handle when young, often resist being held as adults. In other words, a baby's personality may be very different than its actual adult personality.

Here is an excellent read all about bonding that is well worth the thorough read:
http://cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Yes, what Blue eyes said!!

But, may I also interject that IF you choose to get Rex, make sure to have the buns seperated till you can get them fixed, very important for safety of both
I choose to use a large dog crate for quarentine. Then there was no way if escape, like they will try to do, specially if the hormones have kicked in.
And the fellas can't handle it, they will go bonkers once they smell the female.

That being said, know that the operations are over $100 each and therefore could be costly if you have two to do compared to just your girl right now.

Whatever you choose, thank you for reaching out and being a caring bunny parent 🥰
We are here for you 💞

Latest posts

Back