How does my bunny feel about being held??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan223

Reaction score
I’m curious as to how my bunny really feels about being held. I sit on the floor and hold her for probably 2 minutes 1-2 times a day and then also if I have to move her. When I pick her up and then I stand up she clearly doesn’t like it and squirms. But when I sit on the floor and pick her up and kinda hold her in my lap while I pet her she doesn’t get mad. Like she falls asleep and sometimes clicks her teeth if I’m petting her head. Usually when I stop petting her she wakes up and jumps off me but other times she just sits there for a little and doesn’t move. When I’m sitting on the floor holding her does she like it? Or just barely tolerate it?

It sounds like she likes it when you sit on the ground and doesn't when you stand up. That is probably because when you are sitting down she has the freedom to run away from you, but when you stand up, she knows that she can't get away from you.

When standing up, hold with both hands. One under bum and feet, and other on back of back/neck. If they feel like they arent coddled or secure, they will not like their situation. Sitting on the floor, seems like regular rabbit. Once they arent getting attention or petting anymore, and see that they can go explore or find their comfy positions on their own, they will. I hold my bun bun a few times a day aswell. Just make them feel safe when standing with your hand position and should get better and better in your arms, if not get used to it the first time or two. GOODLUCK!

It is fine to hold your rabbit when you are sitting down. But never walk around while carrying your rabbit. Rabbits don't like it and they will absolutely squirm. Inevitably, one day, she will squirm and fall out of your arms. That could cause serious injury.

I have never met anyone who carried their rabbit around that did not eventually drop them. It will happen. I've heard results from broken leg, to broken teeth, to broken back. It can be completely avoided by not carrying them around. If they must be moved from one room to another (for example) then put them in a carrier or a even a cardboard box. But don't carry them in your arms.

I live across a park from my mother and father(to tino they are grans and gramps) I carry him almost every week, if not two times a week, to their house which is a fifteen minute walk on concrete pathways and fifteen minutes back. I guess that's where me and the last commenter differ. I've heard horror stories about all the broken limbs etc. But tino was skidding at first. But now he sits around my neck, in the hood of my jacket, no hands needed looking out beside my face and is an EXCELLENT traveler. It's all about how USED to the situation your rabbit is. If you choose to not keep up with carrying, and are scared to drop them, then yeah. Sure. Room to room. But your animal needs to be exposed to certain situations for them to feel comfortable. If you are drunk, high, or take illegal substances regularly, or prescription meds that will impair you.. yeah. I wouldn't suggest trying to adapt them or carry them at that point. But as long as they feel secure, and you feel comfortable carrying them.. do it! They get used to situations like carrying, just as well as dogs get used to being in a car. I'm not saying carry them all day every day.. but the more you do, the more they get used to it, and are more well adapted to it. One more thing, I have had tino in my hood, slipped on ice, and he has jumped out of the hood to save himself cause I understand him being scared at that point.. but they will figure out how to be safe, just as anyone would probably try to catch them after slipping out of their hands. An icey pathway falling, versus you holding them at home and them slipping.. honestly, unless you're holding the rabbit over stairs or out a window.. they will find a way to land right. I have never ACTUALLY known anyone to drop their rabbit out of their arms and it had a broken leg etc. If you dont feel comfortable holding it, and it hasn't adapted to it at first.. then hold them over a couch. Rock back and forth with one hand under bum, one arm around their back and make them feel comfortable. You will have less and less of a "sketchy" experience. DONT BE AFRAID TO HOLD THEM AND LOVE THEM. They WILL adapt.

I have rabbits I can carry them around with absolutely no problem, I don't even have to hold them with my both hands, they are so happy I know they won't jump or anything. But I also have a few rabbits I wouldn't carry around as they won't sit still they want to climb on my shoulder and I know it's not safe. I think it depends on a rabbit really.

I often carry around my bunnies but in situation where they can react scared have never happened when I stand up with them. It’s bigger chance for them to react scared when sitting, they will often try to get up to a higher place and hide or stuff their head in my arms. Like I don’t see you, you don’t see me.

But my bunnies are used with many different situations and feel safe up in my arms. One will fall asleep while the other will just cover you with kisses and willingly try get up in people arms when scared or uncomfortable with the situation.

I had one bunny that would always jump into my arms when being scared. I always panicked when he suddenly jump straight up towards me and had to catch him. Because sometimes he miss-judged how tall I was, so he nearly flew over me when I was a kid (1.3 m). He would then press his head near my neck and hide in my hair while licking my cheeks.

So myself have been lucky and never had a bunny that don’t like being up in my arms or will just tolerate it. I often give them treats to snack on when being picked up at home. So it will always be a positive experience ☺️

Latest posts

Back