How do you stave off/lessen the duration of a cold?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
I am coming down with a cold as of this morning. I've got a stuffy head and nose, achy joints, and a sore throat. I went out and bought some Tylenol Severe Head Cold medicine. Are there any remedies to lessen the severity and duration of a cold?

I have asthma and when i get a cold, it always goes into my chest. The cold goes away within 3-5 days, but the chest congestion stays for 3-4 weeks, causing me to have to take my albuterol inhaler 5-6 times a day (when I normally only take it once every other day). It also makes it nearly impossible for me to walk anywhere, as I am extremely short winded. Sometimes it even takes a round of Prednisone to get it all out my chest.

I have tests at school next week and I can't afford to miss any classes, or my tests. But I can't walk to class, or climb stairs, if I can't breathe.

Any suggestions for lessening the symptoms and duration of a cold? I also just took one vitamin E capsule that had 833% vitamin E... not sure of the milligrams. I also took a Woman's One A Day vitamin, and a 500 MG vitamin c tablet. I'll take another vitamin c tablet before bed.

Anything around the house I can do besides vitamins? Other than the ones I took already, I don't have any others in the house and the stores in this little town are closed.

Thanks guys!

I'm just getting over a bad cold and I have asthma, too, so I understand your concerns.

I took a bunch of stuff that didn't seem to work, then 10 days into it, I started taking Mucinex. It REALLY got the job done. I managed to get all the congestion gone without it going to my chest. It's over the counter, too.

Do you like hot tea? It makes me feel so much better and it has something in it that relaxes your airways. I use it when I have winter asthma attacks (when nothing else seems to work). Just holding it and inhaling the steam alone helps me (I do drink it, too, though).

The vitamin C is good, too. Definitely keep taking it and drink LOTS of decaffeinated drinks, preferably water.

I hope you can fight it off.

Thanks for the advice SM. I've tried Mucinex and it never seemed to work for me. However, the Tylenol Cold contains that Geusef.... whatever that 'G' word is that's an active ingredient in Mucinex.

I'll try the hot tea, I have some in the cabinet.

I was reading some reviews about Zicam, and they all seem to be good. Have you ever tried it or know someone who has?

Don't know about Zicam - never used it.

Don't put milk in the tea (a lot of people seem to do that - I don't get it). It defeats the purpose.

Did you know black tea (most common type) is good for your heart, too?

I take magnesium oxide 500 twice a day for asthma. It helps open up the airways. ;)

MBH-I have tried Zicam. Unforntunately, you have to start using it as soon as the symptoms start, otherwise, you're stuck w/ it. I did that once and it was our anniversery and we were going away. I used that stuff like clockwork and really didn't seem to get any better any sooner. If you start right away though, it could work. Otherwise try vit c, there's something else, but I can't think of it.

Don't drink oj either, someone was saying on here that it makes you more flemmy, uugghhh, I never knew that...

I hope you get to it before it gets worse. :D

I tried Zicam as well. Right at the beginning of symptoms. I still got the full blown cold. Nothing was different for me.

My sister said that the Shower Soothers stuff works wonders for relieving congestion. May want to try that.

Thanks guys, then I won't even waste my money on the Zicam.

Binkies, I love the Shower Soothers and use them all the time. They really do help open your chest, but only while you're in the shower. Within a few minutes of getting out of the bathroom, I'm congested again. :?

You can try boiling some hot water and adding a heap of vicks vapour rub and then drape a towel over your head and the bowl and just inhale the steam,it might help soothe things a bit

I suppose it's kinda like a home made steamer

Even if you have a steamer..give it a go!

Yes also try some hot tea and put some honey in it

Keep well
sick<WBR>.gif

cheryl

Hi. I&#39;m like you I have asthma and when i get a cold I usually end up with a really bad lung infection. A couple of months ago I ended up in the emergency room for 8 hours. Like you they put me on the prednisone which really worked but it&#39;s not something I want to have to go on permanently.

I have also put honey and lemmonin my tea, it does something (don&#39;t ask me what but it does help) Also if you gave a sore throat just eating a teaspoon of honey really soothes it.

If you have a bad cough that&#39;s productive make sure you take a Cough syrup that has DM in it, that really helps to get the stuff out of your lungs.

Hope you are felling better real soon.

Susan:sickbunny:

I don&#39;t really have any advice for you, other than get lots of rest and avoid citrus and dairy,but I do have a Zicam story.

On our way to Hawaii over the summer for our cruise, we all visited the American Airlines Admiral&#39;s lounge which my dad has a membership for because he flies with them so often. Along with the free food, there were free samples of Zicam. We all took a box. Throughout the cruise, different members fo our party were taking it, not sure how effective it was, but then whenever anyone had anything at all wrong, we starting saying, just take some zicam. Kind of like the windex in My big fat greek wedding, lol.

Hey SM, thanks for checking on me. :D

I am feeling about the same. I&#39;m taking the Tylenol Severe Head Cold medicine, taking a multi-vitamin, doses of vitamin E and lots of vitamin C. I&#39;m also drinking plenty of water, taking hot steamy baths, and using my facial steamer (it&#39;s a enclosed steamer that supposed to open the pores of your skin. I&#39;m using it for my cold. I stick my head in and it&#39;s nothing but nice hot steam). I&#39;m also eating soup and drinking steamy hot cocoa.

My head still feels clogged, and my chest is starting to crackle. Hopefully with everything I am doing, it won&#39;t get too severe. The doctor is calling in some antibiotics and prednisone tomorrow and we&#39;re going to keep it on stand-by in case I need it.

MBH, go easy on the Vitamin E. It&#39;s fat soluble so it&#39;s not excreted from your body every day like Vitamin C and you can actually hurt yourself by taking too much. I actually wouldn&#39;t recommend taking more than what&#39;s in your daily vitamin, no extras.

Along with Vitamin C, zinc lozenges help a lot. I prefer the Vitamin C lozenges too because they taste good and they help the throat a bit.

Tea- best I&#39;ve found is herbal lemon tea with honey in it. It&#39;s a lifesaver!

Long hot showers are a good way to break up the congestion. Vicks Vapo-rub is also good, although stinky.

I hope you&#39;re feeling better soon!

Thanks Angela, the long hot showers, hot cocoa, and hot steamer are really helping. So did the soup. I&#39;ll try the vicks vapor rub and throat lozenges tonight.

I didn&#39;t know the about vitamin E, so I&#39;ll definitely cut back. Thanks for letting me know!

Sorry to hear youve been sick!

Like many of you guys, I also have asthma. I came down with bronchitis and a sinus infection (along with a cold) a few weeks ago. I had to be on an antibiotic, but for the cold/virus part, my doc recommended using a zinc cough drop, like coldeeze.

I really think it helped me. She said it helps to shorten the length of the cold. Might be worth a try? Also nose spray always helps if its in the sinuses.

Get well soon!

naturestee wrote:
Along with Vitamin C, zinc lozenges help a lot. I prefer the Vitamin C lozenges too because they taste good and they help the throat a bit.

I hope you&#39;re feeling better soon!
Angela-that&#39;s what I was thinking of!!! Zinc!!!

It should lessen the duration and the severity, but I never took it enough to know for sure if it works-they say it does though. :D

I hope you feel better soon. :)

Latest posts

Back