How do you find a new home for your best friends?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpuckett

Reaction score
I was accepted into a very prestigious university in Japan, and I won't be able to bring my darlings with me(I have three older buns, the boy is about five years old and is bonded with a 6 year old girl, and then a single grump who is about 8 who has minor health complications). I have been researching sanctuaries in my area, but I know that they are often over-full and stressed. I am unwilling to send them to the shelter (even though mine has a fairly high adoption rate). I want to know where they are, if at all possible.

I have no problems in providing compensation to either a sanctuary or individual as long as I know that my fur-children are happy and well-kept. Obviously I have six months to find a suitable arrangement, but if you had to find someone to love your rabbit(s), how would you go about finding the best possible home? This is the saddest part of accomplishing a life goal, to be sure.

How long will you be gone? Is there no way someone can keep them for you until you come back? As a matter of fact, I was accepted in a prestigious university in Japan 4 years ago - I left my two rabbits with my sister and took them back when I came back. I don't know about the US, but in France you also have associations with people who can keep your rabbits for a long time for a small amount of money.

If you can't, I feel like the shelter or even a sanctuary is a bit harsh for rabbits who are quite old and used to live as house rabbits. I would try to find them a new home - you have 6 months to interview people and try to find someone who knows about rabbits. I would try my luck on forums like this one where there are people who are knowledgeable about rabbits, sometimes have quite a few of them, and might be able to take yours in (or keep them until you return)...

I agree with Aki, first see if there's someone close to you who might take them or maybe if three is to much for one person see if you can find the two that are bonded a home and then the single one another home say I'll be gone for this long and maybe you could send money or food or something to help them along and if not then look for people who are looking for a rabbit older rabbits have more appeal sometimes cause there litre box trained, and talk to me people and see who would be a good fit don't be afraid to be picky because there your babies and you want them to go to the best possible home.
Good luck and hope everything goes well.

I so wish that I had someone that I could pay to care for them while I was gone and then return them to me, but alas, the only family I am leaving behind has neither the time, knowledge, or personal health to be responsible for any of them. I believe that I have already found a family friend that may be able to assist with the bonded pair (being that I would help with the finances-which of course I will do). I will be gone at minimum four years, so finding long term care for older buns is a challenge. But I want to know they are happy and healthy, that is most important.

Aki, did you get a G30 program? If so, what one? If you don't mind me asking, of course!

Latest posts

Back