How do you deal with hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ender

Reaction score
My bunny is a good hay eater. He will clean out one of those small hay racks overnight, and makes a mess of my room when he does. I have tried putting hay in a basin for him, and it seems to keep the mess down but then he uses it as a litter box sometimes and soils the hay. What do you do to keep your bun neat and tidy?

My litter box is a 18 gallon tote with a hole for a door. The high sides kept the hay in for a while, but then they started to dig it out. Now, I have a dollar store little trashcan that I cut a big hole in that I clip to the side of the literbox. With the combination, I hardly ever see a hay out of place. And it holds a lot.

I have a 36in by 24in litter box (a cement mixer bin) where I put some hay, and then a hay rack on the opposite end hanging over the box. For the most part he keeps it all in and has a choice to soil his hay if he likes and still have some fresh hay to eat. The only mess I deal with is from his little hay toys.

I put bolts sticking up in the hay section of the litter box to stop bunny butts from sitting on it and using it as a potty (the bolts are sticking up through spare coroplast 'cause I don't have the tools to cut wood, then I ziptied the coroplast to the litter box grid):

Photo002.jpg

I put their hay right in the litterbox. I refresh the hay a couple times per day. It pretty much stays in there. Some gets out as you can see, but it's not too bad - just part of bunny life.:sweep I get more hay mess from the paper towel tubes stuffed with hay.

16589_241325_210000000.jpg

Latest posts

Back