How Do You Deal With Flies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

la~la~land

Reaction score
Title says it all really lol I'm having to clean my rabbits out almost daily just to keep the flies from laying eggs (My cages/shed are under an apple tree so I guess thats part of it) I've heard of fly preditors but it seems like the cost would add up fast. What do you use to keep them away?

We put barn lime on the droppings every week and clean up the ground once a month. My bunnies are under plum trees so I totally understand. We have a lot of flies around even with out the animals I think they like the clay ground?

I've used fly strips and bug zappers to varying degrees of success with regular waste dumping. The flies aren't as interested in the droppings after they've been moved to well-drained dirt (they're too dry once the urine's gone).

Lime is good for keeping the moisture down, but a cheaper method is simply sawdust. I've used that too, and it helps keep the pans lasting longer (the urine can be rather caustic).

Lately, I've been spraying the trays with Anotec (just an herbal anti-microbial deodorizer) when I empty them, and it keeps the flies (and smell) down.

Latest posts

Back