How do you clean soiled blankets in your rabbits enclouser?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutdabunny

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I usually wash my blankets every 4 days or so but the washing machine never gets all the smell out. We use unscented Landry detergent so is that the problem? Or do I have to keep replacing blankets? Anything you could offer would be great! Thanks in advance!

First I brush the fur off with a wire slicker brush and shake off outside. Then hot wash cycle, extra rinse, scent/dye free laundry soap. Then I also add vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. I found without the peroxide, the pee smell just wouldn't ever really come out.

First I brush the fur off with a wire slicker brush and shake off outside. Then hot wash cycle, extra rinse, scent/dye free laundry soap. Then I also add vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. I found without the peroxide, the pee smell just wouldn't ever really come out.
Will the smell damage the washing machine? Also can you send me links of the products you use, (or pictures)

Or if you could send me a video of how you do your landry that would be great as I learn from seeing things

It's just regular white vinegar from the grocery store, and the brown bottle of hydrogen peroxide you can get in the first aid section at any pharmacy/store. Then I pour maybe a half cup to 1 1/2 cups vinegar and 1/2-1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, depending on if it's a small or large load, and how soiled the bedding is.

I've been doing it this way for years and though it smells at the time of the wash, it doesn't leave a smell after. And as long as the bedding is washed thoroughly and doesn't come out smelling anymore, it shouldn't leave a smell in the dryer. If it still smells after the wash, then it probably didn't get enough laundry soap and/or hydrogen peroxide, and needs to go through a wash cycle again.

It's just regular white vinegar from the grocery store, and the brown bottle of hydrogen peroxide you can get in the first aid section at any pharmacy/store. Then I pour maybe a half cup to 1 1/2 cups vinegar and 1/2-1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, depending on if it's a small or large load, and how soiled the bedding is.

I've been doing it this way for years and though it smells at the time of the wash, it doesn't leave a smell after. And as long as the bedding is washed thoroughly and doesn't come out smelling anymore, it shouldn't leave a smell in the dryer. If it still smells after the wash, then it probably didn't get enough laundry soap and/or hydrogen peroxide, and needs to go through a wash cycle again.
Okay thank you!!

Well this is useful to know. Thanks. 😁 I've been using Arm and Hammer unscented laundry detergent (because of my husband's asthma and allergy to perfumed products), and it seems to work. But I'll definitely try the vinegar and peroxide as well with it.

Latest posts

Back