How do you blow out fur?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanluc_pippen_merry

Reaction score
I never tried this kind of grooming on JLP before but thought about doing it with Padme. Can i do it with a normal hair dryer or does it suck it out rather than blow, and in that case what do you use to do it? I used to use a brush on JLP but that didn't work very well. I don't know how to explain the brush i used but it looked like lots of hair like bristles.

As long as the hair dryer has a "cool" setting you can use it. That is what I do in between brushings for my angora.

I use a rake and just work through the layers when I brush. Then I go back with a fine toothed comb through the layers to make sure there are no small knots starting. This pulls the wool as it comes loose rather than waiting for a big shed. You don't get premium wool this way, but I think it makes my rabbit more comfortable to have the coat cleaned out on a weekly basis and this way he never has mats.

A hair dryer really isn't powerful enough to effectively groom an longer furred rabbit. It can fluff them up before a show or something, but that's about it. You could also use it to open the cost so you can see where you need to brush more.
If you want to blow out the coat, you need a good blower. Everyone seems to use something different. I have a small Shop Vac that has a blower port. Some people use dog grooming dryers, but these are expensive.
When blowing the coat, you want to open it up, so the nozzle needs to be back from the rabbit. If it is too close, you can cause matting. The goal is to prevent the mats from forming rather than try to get rid of them using the blower.
Most people who use a blower show the rabbit and/or use the wool for spinning. Blowing keeps most of the wool on the rabbit and only blows out the loose wool. Brushing can remove a lot of the wool which is not want people tend to want.

Oh nice, thanks Brandy! I actually have a couple of those combs so good to know i can use them. Don't have a rake though so will have to invest in one.

Thanks for the info Kate, was very helpful!

Latest posts

Back