How do I stop her peeing on the carpet?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aliena

Reaction score
Little Alaska has been living in my room for a few weeks now and I need for her to go toilet in a litter tray but so far she just goes on the towel in her cage and when the cage door is open she goes on the carpet. I've always found it fairly easy to get my rabbits to use litter trays in their hutches but I don't know how to do it in this situation. She likes to sit in the tray I've given her and only goes toilet in it very occassionaly. The rest of the time she goes wherever she feels like it. There is some newspaper spread in one part of the room that she sometimes goes on and I would like her to go on there ALL the time. Does anyone have any tips?

You can put vinegar on the spots that she has peed on the carpet and let it dry, that should make her not go there anymore.

Is she spayed? That can also help with her habits because she won't feel the need to mark her territory with pee.

My spayed/neutered bunnies do not go pee on the carpet, but they will poop in places and chin everything to mark their territory.

She's only nine weeks old so not spayed. When she was with mum she used a litter tray but then she got sick and moved inside and because she was really sick I didn't bother giving her a tray. Now she is better I'd like her to go in a tray again and she does but just not every time:(

How long has she been inside for? It could take her some time to get used to it and stop marking her territory.

Just keeping whiping up the pee with a paper towel and placing it in her litter box, so she knows that is where she is supposted to go. Pick up the poopies and place them in there as well.

Some bunnies just don't like their litter box :p.

She's been inside for about three weeks. I gave her a new litter tray today that I thought she might prefer and she hopped in and did a wee pretty quickly but then 20mins later she wee'd on the floor again. I've been trying to put her poops in there too - she poo's everywhere! At least they are hard so I can just sweep them up but man she does a lot!

Hi there!

Like Undergunfire said.

A young bun and new change, it may take her a bit to relax and get used to her new area;).

You could also get those wee wee pads that are for dogs and see if that helps too, just place them on your carpet where they seem to mark.;)

Let us know how it goes!

The avatar pic is of Kuta, one of my boys. He is so gorgeous! I love him to bits. Problem with Alaska's weeing is that she hasn't just picked one spot, she goes anywhere she feels like, never in the same place twice it seems so I can't really put pads or trays down in the place she likes to wee cos there isn't one! She hasn't gone on the carpet today though, she went once on the towel and once on the newspaper, not in her tray but better than nothing.

Last night Alaska did all her wee's in her litter tray! I was so pleased and then this afternoon I let her out and the first thing she did was pee on the carpet :( I guess at least we're making progess.

Progress is always good;). You could always limit her to a smaller space around her cage until she gets the hang of it, like block off a space for her and as she does better with using the tray and not your carpet, expand the area.

Yeah I was thinking that would be a good idea but I have nothing with which to cordon off an area. Plus she often piddles right next to the cage anyway.

Latest posts

Back