How do I move the "Foster bun" into a "Forever Home"?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
Harpo my Foster bun has taken 2 years to get past his snarly, angry side, but now for the last 6 months he's been asking for more. I have 2 bonded buns downstairs from him (he and the others have never been exposed to each other). Harpo needs and should have "friends". But the idea of bonding him to the existing Duo seems scarey!

Tell me your story if you've ever bonded a third to a mix and how.

Hey Julie!! :wave:

It might be a crapshoot but I like introducing them all in a totally different area, preferably after a long car ride.

It all depends on the buns' personalities (and apparently at least with the boys, the dominance is marked by the strength of the scent gland in their chins, LOL! Too bad we don't know how to test it in advance). ;)

If one bun is dominant, it may be a good idea to hold his head down (the human version of dominance humping) and maybe the bunny-equivalent-of-testosterone will lessen.

I think my small, shyest and most gimped rabbit (Neil) must have the most dominant scent, he was the only one my Flemish was afraid of after sniffing him. (And sure enough, the little booger did at one point go after Mikey, tho I don't think Mike even noticed, LOL! He was like a gnat on a hippo).

sas :bunnydance:

Curious as to how to tell which male would be Dominant? Baxter! has been here the longest, but when I brought in Gabby as his girlfriend she ran him around and took over; if I'm bonding Harpo to them, who should I be concerned with - the girl bun who runs our rag tag pack (a cat is included) but the cat has access to Harpos area upstairs, Xpen seperates them, but they seem friendly enough with each other.

I tried the "tried and true" bonding procedure with Bax and Gabby (put them side by side, nose to butt, etc), but with adding a third to a bonded duo? If you have this procedure posted on the site - point me in the direction.

I'm thinking of moving Harpo to downstairs, putting up a barrier (Xpen), so that he can be in the mix and everyone get used to each other? But have this "needling" feeling in the back of my brain that - that, might just get all of the buns upset. Here in Los Angeles there are a couple of "bunny whisperers" that you can pay to bond your buns, but would cost me about $300 and Bax and Gabby that are happy are upset being "relocated" for a week or more. $$ well spent if it works, but would hate to upset anyone.

Sigh.. Cats, which I know are so much easier, you just watch them with each other for about a week and they work out their hierarchy, buns I fear will try to kill each other or so I've been told.

Any guidance appreciated.

Your FUNNY!! I actually considered that (really, fleeting fantasy) but that suggestion wouldn't consolidate buns, just make for a larger problem (I've seen that show "Hoarders") and saw how a it starts - lol.
If I could only win the lottery, I'd have buns everywhere - with a staff and they'd be running amuck..

Just seems from a human point of view - 3 buns should be able to be happy friends - right? But what I read, not so easy.. thus my plea for guidance.

I will be looking forward to seeing how you do it... I have a similar situation here wrt to personality types. One independent dominant buck, and a mellow pair. Too many fights in the history for me right now, so I am dying to see how you pull this one off.

Is there anywhere in the house where NO BUN has ever been? Either territory would be heavily scent marked, gotta find common ground.

One awesome/terrible suggestion I heard once was to rub everybun with garlic to mask scents.:yuck
(My memory says Harpo is neutered, right?)

PPS: great to see ya, Julie!

Garlic?! Really? LOL!

I really am hesistant to try this by myself.. Thankfully, yes all buns are "altered". But other than Baxter! the other 2 are VERY opionated; and maybe Bax would become aggressive if he was around a male (he never has been, have female cats, me and his girlfriend; Bax hasn't been exposed to much Testorene ever, and Harpo, the bun in question whom I'm thinking I could bond to him and Gabby, is VERY male/territorial...

Maybe I just move into a 3 bedroom home so then your idea of a girlfriend for Harpo would be SO much easier!

Aaargh..

Sorry, to reply, to replies, but NA you've tried this yourself and its not working? how long have you tried and what is the back story to your 3?

I have no "neutral space" in my apartment, but could take all 3 to work with me, but then they would be aware of each other? I have a 1 bedroom loft apartment; Bax and Gabby have free roam downstairs and Harpo has free roam upstairs; the cat has free roam of the entire apartment.

My "Dream" is all 3 buns are BFF's and can live together and I get hardwood floors installed and no "child gates to climb over" anymore..

No worries about replies to replies, it's a discussion :D
No, haven't attempted it: bucks have had 2 exceptionally nasty fights due to error (improperly secured cage once, bad timing the other). They continue to drive eachother nuts whenever possible - sitting right beside the other's home during free time, lunging, etc. They haven't been separated by floors or anything - no time to forget, so I haven't had the nerve... It can also be a long process, that I don't personally have the regular time/committment/support for. It's like Tyson and Holyfield :p.

Yours seem similar in temperment, though not history.
Hence, my interest in this thread :p

Pheremonally-speaking, the air circulates in the apt, so I would assume they have some minor awareness of eachother.

Work would be an awesome place if no one has marked it!
(Didn't Bax used to go to work though? If long ago, probably ok.)
You could start with 2 opposite corners of the room... I will let someone else continue from there... :)

I'd also enlist helping hands to help separate bunnies, if it comes to that.

Taking them to my office is an active possibility; but then they would "know" of each other; however you did suggest they probably can smell each other; true. The girl bun did, early on, move furniture (2 small cat towers) to get to the stairs to the loft when I first took Harpo in as she did smell him.. the next morning I found her upstairs, binkying about all happy with herself (or scared she couldn't figure out how to get down - not sure, but she seemed pretty proud), however she had a VERY nice bite on her nose, from probably fighting with Harpo through the Xpen (he's quick - nickname is Viper). He hasn't been aggressive with me in a year, but still loves to grunt/growl when cranky..

She, Gabby wants to be in charge - fine; she controls Bax and the cat; Harpo, not so sure.

Think I need to employ a "Professional" Bunny Matchmaker. I'm far from knowing if when they lift one ear, pointed left and they twitch their whiskers a certain way means XYZ/or certain death.. And honestly I really do not want to have to deal with "Territorial Poo/Pee" behaviour, its obnoxius, appreciate their trying to tell you some sentiment, but have never liked turning my back and then finding 100 poos laid down in 20 seconds - lol..

I must say I applaud anyone who has tried this and succeeded on their own.

"Your similiar in temperment, not history"..
Touche..

Temperment there - yes; actually "DOING IT" not so much. Nailed me..

My rescue group disbanded and I'm now responsible for the 3rd wheel of my buns that I took in. I may be able to bond 3 but from the chatter on the "Interwebs" it can be more than just problematic?

I do not want any bun physically hurt; and no I do not want to deal with the marking, pooing and general destruction that comes with an upset bun; I feel I'd need to take 2 consecutive weeks off to sit with them 24/7 to make sure it went "smothly". Wish this to be a dream come true but - what if I just split up my bonded duo and then the 3rd Harpo regressed to his snarly hateful ways?

That being said, I hear that there are individuals you can take your buns to and they bond them in a couple to few weeks? Would I rather I did it myself - yes; and am I'm frightened I'll mess them all up - yup, totally!

So after researching bonding a single bun to a bonded duo I've walked away with this knoweldge..

1. Must be in a seperate/neutral area. I do not have one at my 1 bdrm apt (other than the bathtub, which I just do not feel comfortable with - Bax and Gabs run through the room).

2. I'll take all 3 to my office (Baxter! and Gabby his bonded GF in one cage) and Harpo in his own, in the backseat if of my car. All buns freaked out being in the car.

3. They will spend 8 hours for the first 5 days side by side with an Xpen between them; then go home in the car each night and back to the respective space at home.

4. During the first 5 days, they have "mini play dates" at the office, when I can referee and see how it goes.

This is my thought process.. anyone jump in and tell me if I'm missing something, and THANK YOU.

Latest posts

Back