How do I know my rabbit pellet's starting to go bad?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I bought 2kg of rabbit pellet a month ago, I store it in an unused fridge (not connected to electric), which also store our dog's food inside.

So I think it's a good place, but now I started to doubt it because recently I read an articel about pellet must be stored in fridge to perserved it about 2 months time, so it didn't started to mold.

Then I found this one piece of pellet when I pour some to Hoppy's bowl.

Is it mold?!

I can't see the mold's character, but I feel like it's definitely a mold (after reading some articel about good pellet is just plain and brown.)

I'm so anxious T.T

Please let me know if I'm right or wrong

Attachments

• 20221230_175531.jpg
    20221230_175531.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
As far as I've seen moldy pellets look different, it's more a discolouration of some amount of pellets in one part of the bag - like when a bag is leaning at a cold wall, or standing on a cool floor there will be condensation inside the bag at the contact points, starting mold there. But more telling is the smell. I actually would take a small bite to use all my senses to tell if there is mold.

Your pellet there looks like there is a piece of ingredient that didn't get milled to not be seen, or so, can happen.

recently I read an articel about pellet must be stored in fridge to perserved it about 2 months time, so it didn't started to mold
Interesting... I typically buy a year's supply at a time, but have never stored them in a fridge.

Different companies probably put in different preservatives, but it's not something I've thought of before.

Would rabbits even eat mouldy pellets? Would they know if pellets are "good" or "bad?"

I’ve never heard of needing to refrigerate pellets. Maybe it’s different for different pellets, what brand do you use?

As far as I've seen moldy pellets look different, it's more a discolouration of some amount of pellets in one part of the bag - like when a bag is leaning at a cold wall, or standing on a cool floor there will be condensation inside the bag at the contact points, starting mold there. But more telling is the smell. I actually would take a small bite to use all my senses to tell if there is mold.

Your pellet there looks like there is a piece of ingredient that didn't get milled to not be seen, or so, can happen.
I see! that's possible, didn't thought about it before×.×
No, it didn't smell bad, it smell just like the new bag I just opened, but I thought there's possibility of it going bad before it smell, so it makes me anxious.

I guess I'm just too paranoid, thank you^^

Last edited:
Interesting... I typically buy a year's supply at a time, but have never stored them in a fridge.

Different companies probably put in different preservatives, but it's not something I've thought of before.

Would rabbits even eat mouldy pellets? Would they know if pellets are "good" or "bad?"
Oh wow, before I bought a year's worth too actually, but after reading the articel I resell all of it and bought new ones, then store it in the unused fridge with smaller plastic, so I can just take out 1bag for 1 day's pellet rations..

I don't know if rabbit will know or not, that's why I'm so freaking out, because I thought that my rabbit has eaten that bad pellet and I didn't notice it..

I’ve never heard of needing to refrigerate pellets. Maybe it’s different for different pellets, what brand do you use?
I actually search about things like:
How to store pellet, how to know pellet has gone bad, or similar things

But the first article has always been this notice about must stored in fridge (2months worth) and frozen (more than 2 months worth)

It didn't spesifically pointed to any brand I think (or I skipped that explaining part??)

I used Citra Feed Vital Rabbit (repack)

Hi, I bought 2kg of rabbit pellet a month ago, I store it in an unused fridge (not connected to electric), which also store our dog's food inside.

So I think it's a good place, but now I started to doubt it because recently I read an articel about pellet must be stored in fridge to perserved it about 2 months time, so it didn't started to mold.

Then I found this one piece of pellet when I pour some to Hoppy's bowl.

Is it mold?!

I can't see the mold's character, but I feel like it's definitely a mold (after reading some articel about good pellet is just plain and brown.)

I'm so anxious T.T

Please let me know if I'm right or wrong
I keep the pellets in an air tight container and they last a long time. But once I didn’t put the lid on properly and, as my bunny had died, I didn’t use it. When I got it out, four months later, it had tiny flies breeding in it. So that was my fault, not the pellets.

Latest posts

Back