How do I get rid of the smell!!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E554A1A2-7D92-46B5-8227-3C5B3B243FB9.jpeg I use a really easy an inexpensive way to keep your litter box clean and hay stays fresh for yourunnies every day
This is the first time I uploaded a picture so hopefully I did it right.
The white piece picks up and I put newspaper (I use the free newspaper they have in the supermarkets. Nobody ever reads them anyway lol) has on tray and the white part over it. Your rabbits paws stay clean and will help keep the odor down.
I use another box but I can’t find the seller anymore and if was even better than this one.

I use this litter box which really helps keeping the odor down, the hay fresh and your rabbit paws clean. The white grid comes out, I put newspaper in the tray and the white grid on top. I got this on Amazon.
I use the free newspaper kept in the supermarkets (nobody ever reads them lol)
It also saves you money. You don’t need to buy litter anymore.
Most important is to clean your litter box daily
I had an even better box but I can’t find that seller anymore

DCA5667B-A7F0-4A2C-BBAB-DCB89AA1313F.jpeg

Where do you put their hay @Bam Bam , out of interest?
Just a slight addition that wire bottoms can work well for some people, but you do run the risk of claws getting stuck and pulled out (I’ve seen it happen) and sore hocks (paricularly in rexes and other susceptible bunnies).

I agree, the wire bottom is dangerous. We went to a farm sanctuary that had 50 bunnies in wire cages. Such a nightmare? That is why I searched for a box that had plastic bottom. It is a white plastic soft bottom and I have been using them for years. I will attach a picture of the other one I use that unfortunately I can’t find the seller. My bunnnies never had sore hocks and their paws always stayed clean.
I do a lot of bunny sitting and some of my clients have had atrocious litter box cleaninghabits. I have advised them to use this box and their bunnies paws look terrific .

I meant a grid bottom in general - plastic is definitely better but still run the risk of nails getting caught etc. It’s defo not a risk for everyone, and sore hocks only affect some bunnies, so for those it is worth it for the added hygiene :) just wanted to put a comment in warning other people Just to be aware.

I agree about the danger of nails gettin caught. It is not a very thickplastic and lays right on top of the newspaper. My hay methodworks great with this too. You don’t waste a lot of hay because the pee goes right down through the holes. I put a layer of 1st cut on the bottom than pile on 2nd cut on top. My rabbits became great hay eaters since I have used this box.

I'm starting to have this problem too.. getting a little frustrated.. our den smells like a pet store. The wood stove pellets I have actually have kind of a strong smell .. I may have used just too thick of a layer this time, but I think Bunster is smelling because she's been producing some soft poops and they're staining her tile floor and the flat sheet.. it's not a lot but I think it might be enough to be producing off smells .. I don't know if it's the spinach or cilantro causing it. She's kind of always had a sensitive tummy it seems. ....with her soft poops problem.. last thing I want to do is trying to clean poop stains off carpet o_O When it happens with the sheet I throw it in the wash ... just doesn't seem to be any other way to clean it.
I also switched her to orchard grass cause I suspect I'm allergic to the timothy.. it seems to be that timothy hay has kind of a nicer smell than the orchard grass?

I just acquired two rabbits and their cage smalls so bad! They go in a litter box only. I cleaned the litter box last night and this morning my whole house smells like rabbit pee! In the litter box I have KayTee clean and cozy bedding and hay. Any suggestions??
Angry orange is sold on amazon you would never know I had rabbits

I just acquired two rabbits and their cage smalls so bad! They go in a litter box only. I cleaned the litter box last night and this morning my whole house smells like rabbit pee! In the litter box I have KayTee clean and cozy bedding and hay. Any suggestions??

Hiya! I have always used ONLY pellets in the litter tray. The pellets were actually for cat litter trays but are absorbent and work just fine.
Hope this helps.

I agree with lavendertealatte, perhaps the whole cage needs cleaning. I can change out all our litter boxes, including disinfecting them with vinegar solution and the rabbitat still smells. Here is why: When our young male entered puberty he started spraying all over the place. He is recently neutered and when his hormones subside I will need to scrub all cage fencing and everything else in the area. It is all covered with pee residue from the young buck. I expect the smell will be history after everything gets a good washing down with vinegar solution. In the meantime I waiting out those subsiding hormones.

I don’t know if anyone mentioned this but I would give their cage a good scrubbing with vinegar. We use that is the rescue and there are over 15 buns there and it doesn’t smell

First of all, are your beautiful bunnies spayed/neutered? That will decrease urine odor as well as bad behaviors. I don't know how familiar you are with bunnies and whether you need to check if you've got a bonded pair or if you have to worry about babies. As for litter, soft flaky stuff mats down and smells. Recycled paper pellets are much less messy, but make sure you avoid any that uses baking soda to absorb odors. I use Petsmart's "Exquisicat" that has no perfume and uses zeolite instead of baking soda (the former is safe for rabbits).

There are a couple good options of pelleted paper litters. Yesterday's News (only get unscented version) is sold at PetSmart. Petco sells its own brand of pelleted paper litter.

Pelleted paper litters work well but will cost more than the wood pellets. For example, Petco's paper pellets litter for rabbits is $20 for 20 lbs. The wood pellets I just purchased last week was a 40lb bag but only cost $6.

I prefer paper pellets over pine pellets. I find with using pine pellets my nose just goes crazy and I get a head ache. You can use just non-ink plain paper underneath the litter. I find that some rabbits will chew puppy pads and that puppy pads tend to be more expensive.

The price of paper pellets scared me off. Wood pellets, on the other hand, are inexpensive around here, especially when they are on sale.

My bunnies do not like wood pellet litter, so I put a thin layer of them in the bottom of the box, then cover them with pine shavings, also cheap. Each day I put in a fresh layer of shavings. The box gets full about the time the pellets become saturated. Then, dump it all and start fresh. Done this way there will be no odor problems.

If the warnings about pine shavings frighten you, then use hay or straw.

I use peat moss. Cheap, very absorbent, the ph-level makes parasites less likely to breed and I have no smell issues despite my giant bunny (plus a tiny one) and a thin layer of bedding. I do clean once a day - it's easy to just shovel up the pee soaked litter and toss in the garden.
I could get a thicker layer and clean less often, or just toss new peat on top a few days.

The peat comes from sustainable harvesting.
57045393_2121008164600881_5313983149225541632_o.jpg

I use the same bedding covered with hay but I only have one rabbit and she has not hit puberty yet. I also clean her letterbox every evening with a vinegar water solution. When it dries there is no smell left from her urine or the vinegar. As soon as she is old enough I plan to get her fix for many reasons. The urine smell being one of them...

Latest posts

Back