How do I get rid of the smell!!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes u need to check the cage itself. While I put lot of wood bedding it's usually the pee that is along the bottom plastic that has not dropped onto the bedding. Cant help but to clean every once in 1 days. My 2 are female yet seems they do not want to use the litter pen but pee and poop on the place where they sleep...haiz. u can see the bottom after I remove the top cover

Attachments

• 20190411_220301.jpg
    20190411_220301.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 19
We use eco mini flakes for bedding. Our rabbits come indoors when it’s winter and never had issue with the smell. We have 8 rabbits. ‍♀️ You can clean the cage with 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water mixture and then let it dry out. Put bedding on bottom of cage. My rabbits only go in one corner to do their potty duties.

I have a house rabbit, completely free ranging. He only 'toilets' in his litter box and I have never had any smell problems. I do clean it out every day though, which I think is the way to go for a sweet smelling house and happy bunny. I use a base layer of 100% recycled paper pellets and a layer of hay on top. The pellets can be flushed, used as compost on the garden, contain no chemicals, are virtually dust free and completely control all odour. The bunny has never had any interest in eating it, though he does have a fondness for eating brown paper and cardboard when he can. I remove the hay on top daily, taking most of the urine with it and leaving the pellets to dry out then put hay on top again, usually older hay from the balcony outside, where he has a hay box. The end of litter tray with has twice daily fresh clean hay for eating, so he poops, wees one end, whilst eating clean fresh hay at other end, within easy reach. This works well in regards to him eating more hay, no odour and not too much fuss with cleaning. The whole lot gets chucked out every two or so days. With the regular daily hay clean out it works well. Cheers.

We had luck with a compressed recycled paper product that claims to 'lock-in' ammonia called "Fresh News" - we buy the cat litter version from Chewy.com (better priced than we found on Amazon) as opposed to the "small animal" version = get more for the money. Chloe also only uses a litter box and I was able to replace the shredded paper we were using. It got rid of the ammonia smell. These small pellets of paper swell when absorbing urine, so you you can scoop up like you do with the other pellets. Hope it helps.

Recycled compressed paper pellets are great... just chuck them on the compost heap, I always wash my Bun's litter tray out with dilute vinegar as this cuts down the smell and is a natural cleanser...also I layer the litter tray with pellets on the bottom and lots of bedding hay on top. Works a treat

Latest posts

Back