How do I get my bunny to be more interested in eating hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halimabrooks

Reaction score
Hello,

So recently my bunny underwent a dental procedure as his teeth were quite overgrown. I think this was because of his lack of grazing on hay throughout the day, I offer him as much hay as he needs everyday but he isn’t that interested and he would rather just play in it than actually chew on as much as he should, he has toys and things he can chew and bite too because i’m trying to avoid issues with his teeth again in the future, but he won’t really spend time on chewing them rather he carries them in his mouth and runs around with it, which is insanely cute but also worrying because I want to see him biting and eating them. He has also been having some looser stools and I think that’s why, overall he’s a very happy playful bunny and he has been checked by a vet who says everything looks fine with him and told me that he may be eating too many pellets and he needs more hay. (he has the right amount for his weight daily) I’m not sure what else I can do as i’ve never has this issue with any rabbits in the past, if anyone has any ideas on how to get him interested in eating hay more and chewing things it would be greatly appreciated 😊 Also it’s timothy hay that I use. Thank you.

What's his weight and what type/brand of pellets do you feed? What quantity of pellets per day? Anything else besides pellets and hay being fed?

What's his weight and what type/brand of pellets do you feed? What quantity of pellets per day? Anything else besides pellets and hay being fed?
he is 2.71 kg and he eats selective adult rabbit food, he has about 80 grams of that a day, he seems way more interested in pellets than his hay and stuff, he goes crazy for it. He used to have store bought treats that my mum was feeding him but i cut that out of his diet a couple days ago and he’s still having the looser stool issue, he eats small amount of apple and pear and banana every few days, and he has a bunch of greens everyday too

Thanks! Could you be more specific? Which line of Selective adult? What do you consider a "small amount" and do you mean that you feed one of those fruits every few days? What greens?

If he's having unusual poos, then it's a good idea to stop any fruits completely -- at least until he gets back to normal. Stopping the store-bought treats was also a wise idea.

I just measured out 80g to see how much that is. Well, it's about as much as my two 4,5kg does and the 3 14week old doelings ,which are about half their weight now, get. All together. My two 4-4,5kg house bunnies get ca. 15-20g - together. Although I do feed very little pellets as treat and supplement I think it's not a big surprise that there is little interest in hay.

I have to switch them from forage (main part of their usual diet) to hay every winter, and it works fine because the forage becomes just less appealing after the first frosts, then hay suddenly becomes yummy. If you feed a lot of stuff, especially formulated to taste great, hay isn't high on their list.

I don't think the greens, or even a little fruit (2 or 3 thumbnail sized bits per day, as special reward) are the issue here.

Last edited:
Thanks! Could you be more specific? Which line of Selective adult? What do you consider a "small amount" and do you mean that you feed one of those fruits every few days? What greens?

If he's having unusual poos, then it's a good idea to stop any fruits completely -- at least until he gets back to normal. Stopping the store-bought treats was also a wise idea.
I tired to upload an image but it didn’t work, it’s the science selective adult rabbit food, it’s the first thing that comes up in google, and the fruit he gets very small amounts every now and then, they have never caused issues in the past with his stools, and the greens he gets different kinds of salad leaves everyday but never lettuce, he hasn’t had a lot of fruits for the past few days or treats, i will have to speak to my mom about the treats if she’s giving them to him when i’m not around but i did tell her not to but i really hope thats not the case. alsooo by small amount i mean like a n apple slice or a small chunk of banana, never too much because i’m aware that’s it’s not good for them when given too often

I just measured out 80g to see how much that is. Well, it's about as much as my two 4,5kg does and the 3 14week old doelings ,which are about half their weight now, get. All together. My two 4-4,5kg house bunnies get ca. 15-20g - together. Although I do feed very little pellets as treat and supplement I think it's not a big surprise that there is little interest in hay.

I have to switch them from forage (main part of their usual diet) to hay every winter, and it works fine because the forage becomes just less appealing after the first frosts, then hay suddenly becomes yummy. If you feed a lot of stuff, especially formulated to taste great, hay isn't high on their list.

I don't think the greens, or even a little fruit (2 or 3 thumbnail sized bits per day, as special reward) are the issue here.
i just went off of what the back of the pellets recommend and what my vet told me, it says something like 60-70 grams for a rabbit weighing 2.5kg, he’s 2.7 so i just give him around 80, should i be switching his food or just lowering the amount everyday to see if he starts eating more hay? im getting quite desperate as i don’t want to keep giving him bum baths so often because they’re a huge hassle and probably very stressful for him too 😭

According to RWAF, 60 grams of pellets is the max for a 3kg rabbit. The suggestions on the feed bag are always going to be higher because the manufacturer wants you to use up more of their product.

Most rabbits LoVE the pellets and will eat too many if allowed. They then fill up on the pellets and refuse the hay (or reduce their hay eating). Fewer pellets would be my suggestion as well. Sugary treats, fruits, etc, don't help matters either. I'd still suggest avoiding all treats and fruits until he gets back to normal poos. Too many treats/fruits can also discourage the hay eating.

(The Science Selective is a good brand of pellets.)

According to RWAF, 60 grams of pellets is the max for a 3kg rabbit. The suggestions on the feed bag are always going to be higher because the manufacturer wants you to use up more of their product.

Most rabbits LoVE the pellets and will eat too many if allowed. They then fill up on the pellets and refuse the hay (or reduce their hay eating). Fewer pellets would be my suggestion as well. Sugary treats, fruits, etc, don't help matters either. I'd still suggest avoiding all treats and fruits until he gets back to normal poos. Too many treats/fruits can also discourage the hay eating.

(The Science Selective is a good brand of pellets.)
Thank you so much, that was super helpful, i will definitely be more careful with his treats in the future and i’ll start gradually reducing his pellets for now!

i just went off of what the back of the pellets recommend and what my vet told me, it says something like 60-70 grams for a rabbit weighing 2.5kg, he’s 2.7 so i just give him around 80, should i be switching his food or just lowering the amount everyday to see if he starts eating more hay? im getting quite desperate as i don’t want to keep giving him bum baths so often because they’re a huge hassle and probably very stressful for him too 😭
I would cut it down within a few days to 1/4, if he has already problems with poopy bum more hay really would be good. Do you see excess cecotrops?
Weight doesn't say it all, is he rather chubby? They fatten up so quick...

I consider treats an important asset, but I use the pellets as treats, or a piece of apple now and then.

I would cut it down within a few days to 1/4, if he has already problems with poopy bum more hay really would be good. Do you see excess cecotrops?
Weight doesn't say it all, is he rather chubby? They fatten up so quick...

I consider treats an important asset, but I use the pellets as treats, or a piece of apple now and then.
i had to google what cecotrops were but yes they do look like that, he isn’t chubby at all, he’s 2.7kg so he’s a healthy weight, i have started cutting down on the pellets slowly, just struggling with his poops because they make huge messes 😭

Excess cecos most often are a sign of a too rich diet, too much protein and calories, so I think you are on the right track. Rabbits don't really need pellets, they evolved on a meager diet, but they are fine as a supplement in limited amounts to make sure the abbit gets all he needs - which is less than one would think.

Excess cecos most often are a sign of a too rich diet, too much protein and calories, so I think you are on the right track. Rabbits don't really need pellets, they evolved on a meager diet, but they are fine as a supplement in limited amounts to make sure the abbit gets all he needs - which is less than one would think.
thank you for your help! definitely feel more confident going forward 😊

Latest posts

Back