How Do I Feed My Fat Giant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoolia

Reaction score
Finally took Gobi to the vet to be weighed and ask for a diet recommendation. He's just a hair over 19lbs and has been free fed about a cup of food 2x daily with his very small mates. They have been maintaining pretty healthy weights, Gobi has just been getting fatter and fatter since he bonded with them. I didn't get a diet recommendation, just a suggestion to try to cut his weight down to 17lbs if i can and then see what he feels like.
Gobi's room I believe is too small for a big bunny like him to get exercise in. It's plenty of space for his two smaller mates, but he's at least 3x bigger than them. So to get them some exercise I'm bringing them downstairs to roam around the first floor while I clean their room. I'm also trying to cut Gobi down to 3/4 cup of pellets a day and feeding all the rabbits separately to ensure they're each getting what they need and nobody gets more or less than they should.
What do you guys think of this? Do any of you have any suggestions for how I could get my behemoth to trim some fat?
42411168_10156639740210996_8799531564435243008_n.jpg

That sounds like a good plan. It is hard when you have multiple rabbits living together and only one has special dietary needs. Are you sure he's overweight though? I know a picture can be deceiving, but he doesn't necessarily look like he's overweight there. Is he developing fat rolls?

I love seeing the size difference between the two. Your other bun looks so small next to him.

28E18213-3A4E-4E36-9589-9944ABB4F0BC.jpeg Following on from jbun’s post, it is best to assess by body condition rather than weight, as pet rabbit weights will vary drastically (see image above). Best indicator imo is the ability to feel bony prominences such as the spine and ribs.
I love the little and large, so cute! <3

Gobi feels obese. I can't feel his ribs or hips at all. He has fatty rolls on his legs and behind his shoulder blades and he has a very hard time grooming himself which makes his coat exceptionally thick from molts not even reaching the surface. By comparison, his mother feels very sleek and lean with good muscle definition and a good body shape. She has some loose skin but how many females don't, honestly? Gobi is just chunky everywhere in every way.

Lots of hay. Fewer pellets. Be sure he has plenty of hay while you cut down on pellets. Hay is never going to make him fat but gives him something to munch on.

Yeah he's pretty lazy so diet is gonna be my first resort, but how far should I cut back on his pellets? At his current weight he would be eating a whole cup a day if we go by 1/4 cup per 5lbs of rabbit. Is cutting him down to 3/4 cup low enough? is it too low?

Latest posts

Back