How do I encourage her to drink water post-op?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengal77

Reaction score
Lily was spayed yesterday (Monday) at noon. She is about a year old and she is a mixed breed but I suspect that she is a lop/Himalayan mix. She weighs 4 pounds and 7 ounces.

She came home at 4 and after a few minutes of talking to her I encouraged her to eat. I started with her coveted treat, dried cranberries, and slowly progressed to fresh cut apple (just a little) and her favorite greens and herbs. Throughout the day I got her to eat intermittently but she didn't eat any pellets. That night (at 8 pm and later at midnight) I syringe fed her 1/2 oz. and an ounce respectively of critical care prepared with warm water and a bit it baby food for flavoring. In total she ate 1 cup to 1 and 1/2 cups of fresh veggies and in the night she ate 1/4 cup of her oxbow pellets.

Today she has eaten another cup of mixed veggies/herbs, a small slice of fresh apple, and 1/8 cup of pellets as well as a small handful of Oxbow Timothy Hay. But as far as I can tell she has not drunk any water. She uses a crock which is the same size as her food bowl and is right next to it so I know that she has access and can get to it if she wants to.

How long should I wait before syringe feeding her some water? She is not yet dehydrated (her skin snaps back into place) and she's doing a good job of eating her fresh veggies which have water, but I'm worried that she won't drink even after eating pellets or munching on hay.

I am going to pick up some Pedialyte and see if the sweet taste will encourage her to drink.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions about encouraging water drinking and how long I should wait to syringe feed her water. She REALLY does not like being picked up or taken from her cage so I want to minimize that as much as possible.

ETA: The vet prescribed her 0.4 CCs of Metacam given once a day in the morning. She peed last night and has been pooping on and off since yesterday. Her poops are small, sticky, and a little deformed. I do not know if she has peed today but she did last night at 1 am.

Agreed with both Autumn and Pam. My bunnies go nuts for (of all things) a drop of grenadine in their water or pedialyte. It's a good way to get the poos looking good again if they have a bad day--all that water helps push stuff through (of course, a new handful of hay is also important).

Lily is almost back to her normal diet and it's only been a little less than 36 hours since her surgery. She's always had a hearty appetite. She is not eating her normal 3/8ths of a cup of Oxbow Pellets and a cup and a half of fresh veggies and herbs. To encourage her water intake I gave her pedialyte (which she hasn't touched yet) and a small dish of 1 teaspoon of baby food (Gerber's apple, banana, and strawberry blend) mixed with two tablespoons of water. She seems to like it but will only lick it up if I am not in the room.

Thank you for the tips, everyone. In a few days I'll try to wean her off of the baby food blended water by mixing less and less until it's mostly plain water. Since she's getting fresh veggies and eating her pellets and a handful of hay I'm not too worried about her for now.

With our shelter rabbit female spays the 3rd day seems to be the magic day of recovery; so I usually worried a lot for 48 hrs only to be pleasantly surprised that the 3rd day was spontaneous eating drinking pooping. :)

Latest posts

Back