How do I clean a burlap bag?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
Sherman has a burlap bag on the bottom of hiscage that he simply loves. He uses it as a bed, a pillow, achair, a toy, whatever his heart desires... .I need to clean the thing. It's full of bunny hairand"poop stains" for lack ofamoredelicate description. I don't see putting it inmy washing machine.

Any suggestions?

P.S. If I have to replace it I will, but I don't think thatthat will go over well with him...

burlap sacks are cloth sacks that potatoes oronions are usuallyin. also those bags that they use forpotato sack racing :)

.... def. think it would fall apart in the washer.....what if you triedsoaking it in your sink with some woolite ... or baby detergent isusually dye/scent skin irritant free....i have terribly sensitive skinand Tide makes a great sensitive skin detergent (much cheaper than babydetergent) ..and since Sherman seems to love it so much id be worriedabout the soap irritating him......i guess for the poopiestainsyou could don some dishwashing gloves and work them outby hand....sorry cant think of anything better :?

I agree with Pam, hand wash , Usea mild detergent andbe sure to rinse really well. Also If you want to get allthe hair and material out ofit first , Usse a ShopVac and vaccume all thematerial out first . , You dorealize King Sherman Isnt going to be pleased witha fresh smellingmappy rug right lol .

I agree, hand-washing and hanging it out to drysounds like a good idea. If you don't have any place to wash it out byhand (and don't want to put it in a sink or the tub), you could investin one of those plastic baby tubs - sometimes second-hand stores willhave them for next to nothing - and use it exclusively for cleaning theburlap. I have a mat that I sometimes place in my rabbit's cage, andright now (since I don't have anything proper to clean it in) I simplyclean it with a scrubbrush and the hose in the backyard. Comewintertime though, I'll probably be looking at buying something to washit in...can't really see me out there at -30-something Celcius tryingto clean it... ;)

Thanks so much, guys! I'm going to use a combination of your suggestions!!!!

Watch out for future stories of bunnitude. You KNOW that he'snot going to be happy with a CLEAN bag! LOL! ... :D

BunnyMommy wrote:
Thanks so much, guys! I'm going to use acombination of your suggestions!!!!

Watch out for future stories of bunnitude. You KNOW that he'snot going to be happy with a CLEAN bag! LOL! ... :D
Oh I can't wait for future stories!! :jumpforjoy:.

Good luck with that I really can't imagine Himself being impressed by that at all!

Vickie xxxxx

I suggest getting a new one and rubbing thescent of the old, dirty one on it. That way if you ever have to changeit out for whatever reason, it might not be so hard for the King toaccept.;)

Latest posts

Back