How do I care for a disabled bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read this and it brought tears to my eyes. I know how you feel. I had a 6 week old Mini Satin die in my arms because of a misdiagnosis. It broke my heart.
I Understand your feelings about Christmas because my mother became paralyzed Christmas day. I love the fact you have these last two pictures to remember him by and
you know you took great care of him because of how his body was before you buried him. You did a great job.

Now onto Bobby and making certain he is comfortable! :)

Try to hang in there
All the best
Vanessa

These are a few photos from before Christmas, when we had a few days of warmth and sunshine. I have always tried to give my bunnies the turnout time they love. I set up a warm bed for Bobby and got him all snuggled in. I picked grass and oregano for him and he enjoyed himself in nature, listening to birds.

DSCI3836.jpg

DSCI3826.jpg

DSCI3828.jpg

Bobby looks so happy outside and enjoying himself. Your a great bunny mom! :) He looks so calm and happy out there! :)

I hope you guys have more warm days he can enjoy.

Happy New Year
Vanessa

I made Bobby a sling to hold him up. This is new for him so I am only putting him in it for 15 minutes at a time while I am supervising. He usually lays on his right side and has some urine scald. I am also concerned about keeping his spine straighter because he seems twisted while on his side. I also use a snuggle box to keep him upright but I'm afraid it traps moisture. So here's my main point/question.. Is there any concerns or cons to be aware of with this sling?

DSCI4029.jpg

DSCI4034.jpg

As someone that took care of someone with a disability I think it's a great idea. See how he takes to it and gets around in it or likes it. I think it's better for these guys to be upright to help with the bladder and other functions and it looks like he can pull himself to his water with no problems from the first picture. I think it's great. Your doing a wonderful job with Bobby I believe and will within a week send another donation to help!

Vanessa

Thank You Vanessa for helping me by donating! I have made 2 sizeable payments on my vet bill and paid for Big Brown's cremation. I just picked up his remains yesterday as a matter of fact. I was so glad to bring him home again. Later on this year, I hope to get an urn for him.

I took Bobby outdoors in his cart yesterday, but I forgot to bring my camera with me. Be assured that he was lively and thrilled to be outdoors. We went up and down the sidewalk until he decided on a sunny spot under a tree where he was quite content to stand and sun himself. If it is warm again today, I will take him out again and snap some photos.

DSCI4068.jpg

DSCI4069.jpg

DSCI4070.jpg

DSCI4058.jpg

DSCI4049.jpg

We have been blessed with several gorgeous days in a row. It feels like a cool fall day instead of winter. The grass is still green as a matter of fact!

Bobby has been outside everyday and it never fails to perk him up. He obsessed with the oregano plant and if he is in the cart, it's the first place he goes. I have him bundled up for part of the time, and then I let him out to nibble grass and stretch a little.

I often wonder if he is remembering times past when he was able to explore on his own. I have heard rabbits have very good memories..

The cat has become slightly fond of Bobby. I was petting them both one day when he began to lick her head and she let him. She must have decided that he isn't so bad, other than stealing my attention from her. He has the best spot in the house, near one of the heating vents. Her one true wish is to be allowed to lay in his bed, but she never does.

DSCI4189.jpg

DSCI4208.jpg

DSCI4215.jpg

DSCI4220.jpg

DSCI4227.jpg

DSCI4088.jpg

Last edited:
I love the pictures and it's so heart warming to see Bobby out and about in the sun having a good time!
Please keep sharing the pictures. I can't wait to see more...

Hang in there! You are doing a great job as a bunny mommy with him!!!

Vanessa

You're doing a wonderful job with him, just like you did with Big Brown. He looks like he quite enjoys his little outings in the sunshine. I'm glad you had some nice days you could take advantage of it.

That sling is a good idea. Looks a bit like what they will use for horses that are down, when they need to get them back up on their feet.

I think Bobby is growing weaker. I find myself trying to gauge how much time he has left. I am worried because I have to go back to work by the end of March and if he outlives that date, what will his quality of life be like? I don't want to hasten is passing, but I am very conflicted about his fragile condition and my need to earn a living. His appetite is slowing down and he is picky about his hay. The muscles along his back and hips are atrophied and he has lost weight accordingly. This really breaks my heart, loving him, and tending him and knowing that the inevitable end is coming.

DSCI4392.jpg

I have a few disabled rabbits, one with a splay leg, one that was horribly abused and it is hard work and can be expensive I do understand that, I don't see him as old boy at 6 and I think if I were you I would look for a rescue/shelter that takes disabled bunnies who would make him as comfortable as possible. I wonder if he has e.cuniculi as that can be treated with the proper care.

This is our Helen below she has e.cuniculi and due to being cruelly abused a twisted spine and is prone to falling over and so we have her in a special pen.

They can still have a good life even when they are disabled :hug2:

work with his legs. My mother was paralyzed and we did 20 minutes of stretching out her legs and you can do the same with him. You can also give him
critical care to help with his food and nutrition. I've had to do that before with another rabbit that passed last year...

If you need critical care let me know...

You are doing great... please keep with him!

Vanessa

I understand that you're doing an exceptionally good job looking after him, both him and Big Brown were so well taken care of, but if it's an inevitable end and his quality of life is deteriorating (muscles atrophied, weak, loss of appetite and weight) I personally believe the best thing for him is to put him to sleep, rather than prolong something that's going to happen anyway. It's heartbreaking, I know, but it's about what's best for Bobby. I'm not trying to be mean, I know most people wouldn't make it so far or do so much work for a rabbit to keep them well and in good conditions, you have done an amazing job, it just breaks my heart to see any animal on a downward spiral like you mentioned.

If you are worried about when you go back to work, talk to your vet and get a bag of Sub Q Fluids. I've done this with my rabbits when they are sick and you can do this with Bobby to keep him hydrated. In the morning before going to work, give him 100 or less based upon what the doctor says Sub Q fluids which is like an IV for rabbits. It will keep him hydrated until you get home from work and you will know he will not be dehyrdated. For his legs, excercise them every day with range of motion like I did with my mom when she was paralyzed. It will help with the atrophy of the muscles. You can give him fluids daily also if need be. A bag can last a while based upon his daily amount. When you go back to work, keep him a hall way area of something he cannot get out of that has blankets and pillows and hay and food etc and a small bowl of water, but if it's knocked over it will not matter because of you giving him the Sub Q fluids in the morning and possibly nite. Good luck and keep this little guy going! He is a joy!!! I worked with both disabled people and pets and I know it's hard work, but worth it to see the look of love in his face....

Keep it up you are doing great..

Vanessa

One more comment on quality of life... after my mother was paralyzed I was advised to put her into a home. I didn't. I work as an advocate for individuals with disabilities and see how they are no different from us that don't have disabilities, only a little different. I also took care of a paralyzed pet before also. I enjoyed helping my mother and my pet and I think it depends on the person and how comfortable they are dealing with people with disabilities or pets with disabilities.

I think you are doing a great job and hang in there... no matter what you are really helping Bobby know that he's loved..

Vanessa

I just want to applaud you and your true devotion to your bunnies. I just read through the thread and I am just in awe. I am so sorry for the loss of Big Brown. It made me smile to see him so happy and alive even though he had to get around with the aid of a wheelchair or sling. You certainly gave him a beautiful life and the same goes for Bobby as well. You are a wonderful bunny mom. Thoughts and prayers of comfort, peace, and encouragement during this difficult time.

I have been reading the posts here and I am really amazed at the dedication for these sweet bunnies. I have just joined the group because I have a disabled bunny (Blackie who is 11 years old) from e. cuniculi. I have been caring for him for 3 weeks and it really is exhausting but rewarding work. He has been diagnosed by a rabbit vet after x-rays, blood and urine tests. He has finished Metacam and an antibiotic and now on Panacur. I bring him outside during the day and let him eat grass and get whatever exercise he can muster. I want to say to Fannymason that I have tried several homemade support devices for my little bunny but I have failed at several - I don't sew. You should really market the ones you make, it seems there is a huge need for it. Maybe Etsy, Amazon or your own website. I have considered making a zipline across my back yard but I don't know how yet, still researching. This is a wonderful group.

You are doing a great job with Bobby and I'm so glad you got a work from home job. I hope all know that there is a donation fund for him to assist with his medical needs and I have donated. Keep up the good work with Bobby and also for chrisbb I think you are doing great also! I would love to see what you finally work out for Blackie to help Blackie get around!

Vanessa

Latest posts

Back