How do I care for a disabled bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so very sorry you lost Big Brown. Despite all of his health issues, you managed to give him a wonderful life for as long as you could.

I'm sorry that Bobby isn't doing as well.

Bobby is horribly unsteady, to say the least. Constantly laying on his side and sometimes he rolls on his back and then strains so hard his little body shakes with the effort to right himself. He can't of course. He has to give up and lay back in his uncomfortable way. I can assist Bobby and re-adjust him, but he can't stay upright. I have a little cuddle cup for him, which he sleeps in, but he sits in it like a human, on his but with his legs more forward than under. Not sure that position is good for him.

Bobby has the beginning of urine scald on the hind leg he typically lays on. I wash it and try to keep it clean and dry.

My biggest concern with Bobby is watering him safely. I removed his water bowl because he kept falling in it and couldn't really get up enough to use it properly. I gave him a water bottle instead, but I am worried that he will fall and injure his eye on the spout. I am definitely a worrier anyway, so this might just be an exaggerated fear. I don't know..

Bobby is actually a really sweet boy. He is always searching for pets and head rubs lately. These bunnies became affectionate when they started declining in health. They were always very anti-snuggle until they realized they actually needed me. I was a tolerated nuisance before.

DSCI3741.jpg

DSCI3785.jpg

DSCI3782.jpg

DSCI3780.jpg

DSCI3783.jpg

Rebeccalyn7, I live in central USA, in the state of Iowa, just a little west of the center of the state. We are a rural, farming community.

Since Brooke will probably need glaucoma surgery (she is the giant mix in my avatar beside Lady my Holland Lop) I will be selling off things on Ebay and
will pledge to chip in at least for January and Feb $100.00 towards Bobby.

I think you are doing a great job with him and please check out the disabled rabbits web pages for other people to give you help as you maybe run into someone else with a rabbit with the same condition.

Keep up the good work. You are an angel.

Vanessa

Oh wow Vanessa! Thank you!! You are so kind and generous! I am very grateful for your donation. I will take good care of Bobby. He is my salvation right now, helping me cope with the loss of Big Brown. These little bunnies are some of my very best friends. Thank you again!

Just donated and posted of my facebook and Instagram.
Hope this guy can get surgery and get his leg fixed.
Just want to help you. I know the struggles you're going through.

Rebecca, thank you so much! I am humbled by your support and I appreciate it immensely. You have really just made my day so much brighter! Thank you again! I am just amazed at the support this community has for each other. It's great to find people who understand the joy and pain that being a pet parent can bring.

This is one of my favorite photos of Bobby, taken last summer in the garden behind the house.

DSCI2702.jpg

How old is bobby? He looks like he has so much life in him...
Hopefully a surgery will be able to fix or remove the leg..
I just wish their was more I could do.

Bobby just turned six in November, and I have had him since he was just 4 months old. I think his condition is caused by spondylosis. He was treated for EC but it didn't bring back his balance and strength. I don't know whether a surgery would help his condition.

He is definitely still a happy little bunny. His demeanor is so sweet. I know I say that all the time, but it is totally true. He sits by me when we watch a movie and I know this sounds crazy, but I am sure he likes listening to music. I take him outside when weather permits and walk him in the sling. I have an herb garden in the back and even though it is early winter, there are still green leaves on some of the plants. Bobby has a special fondness for oregano. So did Big Brown actually, and I tucked a few sprigs into his shroud before I took him to the crematorium.

Here they are enjoying a day in the sun.

index.jpg

You're story really makes me tear up.
What beautiful bunnys.
Don't know what I'd do if I lost mine, she's only two but for something so small, she's my entire world. Even though she's not really affectionate I know she secretly loves me and my head pats.

You're bunnies are beautiful.
And I'll try and donate when I can.

Week to week I will donate what I can out of my pay checks.

Ditto I shall also...I'm about to help as a partner with a medical marijuana dispensary in Oregon. Whatever extra I get from there money wise will also go to Bobby and helping him. About the urine scald, have you thought about the extra small doggie diapers ? I have seen some owners put rabbits in those that were paralyzed and could not walk. Maybe there is something medically that can be done also if you are saying he became paralyzed after EC. I know that there is some other treatments out there..

Talk soon and hang in there with Bobby

Vanessa

I was moving Christmas photos off my camera today, and I found Big Brown's last 2 photos. It makes me happy that I was petting him in his last live photo.

I did take a few post mortem photos. One showing his teeth, one of his body, and one after he was wrapped for cremation. I looked over his body and found that externally he was in good, clean, dry condition. No urine scald, no sores, just a bare spot on his side where he had an ultrasound a couple of weeks ago. He passed right befor Christmas, and all the activity from the Holidays feels like it has rushed over his passing. I put on a happy face for the sake of not spoiling someone's Christmas party.

In Big Brown's last days, we had a couple of warm sunny days. I took him out in his snuggle box for a brief outings in the garden. I picked some his favorite herb, oregano, to enjoy. Back inside, I positioned his box in the sunshine. We listened to soothing music that he knew and recognized. He was hand fed diligently with all sorts of offerings. He got a little bit of watered down apple baby food occasionally or a thin slice of frozen banana for treats. We snuggled. He was so frail that I could only snuggle him in his box, but I hugged and nuzzled him just the same. He groomed my clothes and licked my hand.

I miss my boy.

DSCI3789.jpg

DSCI3790 Last live photo of Big Brown.jpg

Latest posts

Back