Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionheadRabbitLover

Reaction score
My little buck has become almost feral and will grunt and kick when I pick him up. When I got him he was super docile, but now he runs away from me and lunges if I stick my hand in his cage.
I’m suspecting it might be that he’s stressed out, due to the fact that his hutch and enclosure are outside, but I don’t know what to do because I can’t bring them inside.
I just want to know how to calm him down so he stops being so aggressive.

Neuter and spend more time to get him used to being handled.

Neutering isn’t an option because I’m going to breed him. But I could definitely spend some more time with him. It’s just puzzling because my doe is completely friendly, and yet she gets held less than he does. Maybe it’s just his personality to be more nervous and nippy than her?

Like Nancy said you need to spend more time with him then. Rabbits aren’t designed to spend a lot of time in hutches, outside, on their own. And they often don’t like being picked up, so it is best to minimise how much you have to do that. Even my bunny who lives indoors with me gets angry if I have to pick her up. Spend some time with him in a place where he can choose to come up and see you and you give him treats and pets and help him realise you are a positive experience.

Like Nancy said you need to spend more time with him then. Rabbits aren’t designed to spend a lot of time in hutches, outside, on their own. And they often don’t like being picked up, so it is best to minimise how much you have to do that. Even my bunny who lives indoors with me gets angry if I have to pick her up. Spend some time with him in a place where he can choose to come up and see you and you give him treats and pets and help him realise you are a positive experience.

Okay. Will do!:)

Hormones affect different rabbits to different extremes. Some rabbits do go all out and get aggressive. That behavior can then become ingrained (permanent) if he isn't neutered. Since you don't plan to neuter him, he may (but not necessarily) remain on the aggressive side.

That said, the best you can do is spend more time with him as Popsicles and Larry said. Unfortunately it is difficult to spend any significant amount of time with an outdoor rabbit. Even if you sat outside with him for 2 hours every day, that leaves 22 hours each day when he's alone. :(

Neutering isn’t an option because I’m going to breed him. But I could definitely spend some more time with him. It’s just puzzling because my doe is completely friendly, and yet she gets held less than he does. Maybe it’s just his personality to be more nervous and nippy than her?

Imho, if it is part of his personality and a genetic trait that doesn't get better after puberty me myself would reconsider breeding him unless you're breeding for meat.

Imho, if it is part of his personality and a genetic trait that doesn't get better after puberty me myself would reconsider breeding him unless you're breeding for meat.

He was already matured when we got him. It’s not his natural personality.

Hormones affect different rabbits to different extremes. Some rabbits do go all out and get aggressive. That behavior can then become ingrained (permanent) if he isn't neutered. Since you don't plan to neuter him, he may (but not necessarily) remain on the aggressive side.

That said, the best you can do is spend more time with him as Popsicles and Larry said. Unfortunately it is difficult to spend any significant amount of time with an outdoor rabbit. Even if you sat outside with him for 2 hours every day, that leaves 22 hours each day when he's alone. :(

I know:( I would love to bring him inside permanently, but my mom won’t allow it. He normally has his mate out there with him, but I’ve had to pull her inside temporarily due to her being ready to give birth any day now.

I was told by my aunt who has had rabbits since she was little how to get him used to you. She told me to get on a level where they won't be threatened by you. When I got my rabbit i would lay on the floor with him every day until he was comfortable enough to start to crawl on me. Also sticking your hand in his hutch it also kinda a threat to him because all he sees is a big hand coming towards him and starts freaking out. I would hold my hand out for him to come and smell me a couple times first until he started getting used to me and started letting me pet him.

Latest posts

Back