How do I brush a rabbit that hates it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth B

Reaction score
My bunny Mocha has started her 2nd molt scince I got her and she hates it when I brush her. I have tried doing everything that I know of but she still runs away from me when I brush her. I currently give her a papaya supplement every week or two to help with the hair but I really need to brush her

If you have any advice or tip they would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried doing it on a counter top? If my buns can see a way to escape, they will, so that’s where I have to do anything they don’t like (meds, nail trimming etc) as I am able to control them better. If I do it on the floor or try to put them on my lap they will make a dash for it or wriggle away. Obviously need to ensure she is restrained and doesn’t try to jump off though.

I knee on the floor, when doing the front part I keep one hand firmly on their head with the rear between my knees, for the rear I turn them around and stick their head between my legs so when trying to escape there they get stuck under me.
Quite often it's enough to put the hand on their head though.

Most important, always give a small treat afterwards. When I let mine go, they just turn around and wait for their treat. Imo ending any ordeal with a positiv experience is important.

Sometimes it can work easier if you skip the brush. Just pet her with your hand and you can sneakily get some of that fur between your fingers at the same time. Some use a damp hand but I preferred it dry.

I took advice from other posts on this forum about the grooming. I noticed when I tried out the tugging at his fur gently while he cuddles up to me or lets me hold him, I get some of the loose fur and it mimics a grooming session they normally would have when they are paired with another rabbit.

Latest posts

Back