How do I bond with new rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YashiJ

Reaction score
So after 5 months of waiting I finally got 2 beautiful bunnies:)
How should I introduce myself to them? One of them seems to be okay with me but the other always goes into the hidey house when I’m around. Should I sit near them on the first day? Or let them do their thing? One of them already did a flop! The other ones still scared:( how did you guys do it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 12
  • E475BC40-4098-44F0-A447-081571E32DD5.jpeg
    E475BC40-4098-44F0-A447-081571E32DD5.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 12
Just spend time and sit with them, talk with them or just lazing around in their cage. They will explore you and understand you are okay.

Having a bit of treats will always help, bribing them will make you win them over fast and make the bonding a lot easier.

There’s a reasons why my bunnies chase my dad all over the house and ignore me when I call them. So I can easily know who is overfeeding my bunnies even though he blames it on my mom. The bunnies always show who’s been sneaking them food under the table 🙄

Good luck with your new bunnies, it’s a good sign with the flop and the other one seem to need a bit of time to warm up to the new place 💕

When I got my rabbits I made sure to spend the hole next two or three days in the same room. Trying to not move too much so I didn’t spook them. Eventually started moving more and more and offering treats until they were comfortable with me from the distance of their cage.

After a few days of that they got comfortable with rushing straight to the front of the cage to get the veggies or pellets from my hands so then I opened the door. They eventually come out to get treats or to explore the bunny safe room. It really helps to be still at this part!

I don’t know if this will work for you, but it worked a couple times for me. 😁

Wait 48 hours before interacting with them. Give them time to adjust to all the new sights, sounds and smells of their new home. Go about whatever normal activities would occur in the area. This helps them acclimate as quickly as possible.

Here's more detail (from my site):
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-your-rabbit-home.html
(scroll down to "The first 48 hours")

Ok I’ll let them adjust right now. And in a few days sit outside the pen? It’s in a room where nothing happens

Ok I’ll let them adjust right now. And in a few days sit outside the pen? It’s in a room where nothing happens

The pen looks pretty roomy. I'd be inclined to sit inside it given its size. Bring a book or pad if you like since it might be rather slow at first. You'll want to ignore them if they approach (other than talking to them). If the door to the room is open, then you may want to talk out loud over the next couple days so they get used to your voice.

Latest posts

Back