How common is a Holland Lop that's affectionate, give kisses (licks) often?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiesncream

Reaction score
One of my doe is like this. Very affectionate, give kisses often and overall an adorable attention seeker (she does not like to be hold tho). One of her kits is exactly like her.

Another doe of mine gave birth to one with an overall same temperament albeit give kisses less often and seem conditional (I need to pet her also lol) she's also real easy to handle unlike the first doe mentioned above. Her mother however does not seek much attention from me but easy enough to handle, but definitely do not give kisses at all.

Both does are bred to the same buck, who seeks attention often, easy to handle but don't give kisses ever

How common is the friendly, cuddly, kissy Holland lop personality? Like, is there any percentage of kits that will turn out like this? I'm putting emphasis on the ones who give kisses often! Are the personalities random?

I'm really really curious lol

Quick Google search shows Holland Lops are friendly, attention seeking types. So not so uncommon. I'm no expert. I had a Holland Lop mix named Tu'er Shen. He was a MASSIVE lover bunny. Would purposely hop onto my lap and sit there, licking my shirt for a good 15 minutes to an hour. He passed away from heart complications last year. His bond-mate, Xiao Wu, took up the mantle of attention seeking and lover buns.

I noticed Loki has a similar personality type as Shen, though not as outgoing, since he's likely (I think) a mini Rex. (Again, not an expert.)

Though, in rabbit hierarchy, from my understanding, it is a sign that they submit to you, or they expect you to "groom" them in return.

It's not so much the breed but the individual personality the rabbit is born with. There can also definitely be a genetic trait that comes from a parent and/or line, with a similar disposition. This is something some breeders breed for(in all breeds), a good temperament. Almost all of the hollands I've had, weren't terribly affectionate or cuddly, and I've had several as pets over the decades. I had one out of maybe 15, that was the sweetest cuddliest rabbit, that pretty much went with me everywhere. Just sat in my hoodie while she hung out with me.

It's not so much the breed but the individual personality the rabbit is born with. There can also definitely be a genetic trait that comes from a parent and/or line, with a similar disposition. This is something some breeders breed for(in all breeds), a good temperament. Almost all of the hollands I've had, weren't terribly affectionate or cuddly, and I've had several as pets over the decades. I had one out of maybe 15, that was the sweetest cuddliest rabbit, that pretty much went with me everywhere. Just sat in my hoodie while she hung out with me.
I see... So this kind of personality might be uncommon/rare then? I'm thinking of letting both kits go to be adopted but kinda unsure. I've grown attached to the two furballs

I would say the majority of rabbts don't really care to be cuddled, and not all will give 'kisses'. I've only had a few adult rabbits, that actively always wanted me to hold them and cuddle them. A few more that liked giving 'kisses'. The majority of my rabbits never liked cuddling, though most liked me giving head rubs as long as they never felt like they would be picked up. And a few of my rabbits did like to lick me, some a little, a few would lick me a lot, some would lick the floor next them(but not me) to show appreciation for the head rubs. It all just depends on the rabbits personality.

Though these baby rabbits of yours doing this, their behavior now won't necessarily be indicative of what their behavior will be as adult rabbits. This is because baby rabbtis that are used to being around people, are often very affectionate and like being cuddled. But once they become 'teenage' rabbits, then adult rabbits, this very often can change, where they no longer like being handled or cuddled, and only like pets or head rubs on their terms, when they feel like it and will accept it.

Latest posts

Back