How cold is cold?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyscove

Christina - Moderator
Reaction score
I know I'm a wimp. I've lived in"Sunny Southern California" my entire life. I was wonderinghow cold other people consider cold.

I'm going to stick with Farenheit. Celcius outside of science class confuses me.

So, we've been having a record breaking cold snap here in CA.It's between 40 and maybe 65 during the day, colder at night.I'm absolutely freezing.

We have finals week at school. I've had two of my finals sofar in Cantwell which is basically our auditorium. The thinkis, my school is so old that it's a historic place, and they aren'tallowed to make too many changes to the buildings. That meanswe're stuck with little dinky heaters which, at the moment, aren'tworking.

My hands were like ice while I was trying to write. I have towear a skirt (up to 4 in. above the knee) every day. Thereare some slacks, but no one wears them, I don't own them. Ihave problems with tights:I can't seem to wear them and keepthem entirely intact. Luckily I had my black knee socks ontoday. They're like mini solar panels or something likethat. Lots and lots of toasty legs. Yay for theCalifornia sunshine.

We've been granted special permission to wear sweatpants of specificcolors the next two days. I'm not sure if I have any, butwe'll see what I've got.

Anyway, onto my point. How cold does it have to be for you to say it is truly cold?

I voted for 20 degrees. Really after30, I start whining. I've lived in Illinois my whole life andstill can't get used to it. There's nothing like summer whenyou don't have to grab a coat before leaving. I'm sorry, butwhen it's below like 15, and if there's wind its worse,as Iwalk, oops I mean jog to where I'm going I must alternate 2 cuss wordsuntil indoors :shock:.

Hmmm... Don't really know F very well so I translated into C for those who are in the same boat as me:

80 F = 27 C

70 F = 21 C

60 F = 15 C

50 F = 10 C

40 F = 4 C

30 F = -1

20 F = -7

10 F = -12

0 F = -18

So for me it's cold when it gets below about 10 C or 50 F.But it's really, really cold for me when it's below 0 C or about 30 F.

--Dawn

I'm not really cold until it's below 0*F. Eventhen it's not bad until it gets to -20 or so and then I start dreadinggoing outside!

Its funny how relative 'cold' is. I thinkanything below 30 feels cold to me, but I really start complaining ifit gets below 15 or so...

MBB..I dont think I could survive a winter in Alberta ;)

I would have to say, though I now realize Ivoted incorrectly, that below 50 is cold to me. (Iaccidentally voted 40F, hehe...I blame the headcold.)

Maybe I should save the voting until I'm feeling better? Hehe...

Anyway, my husband's Canadian (we're talking Edmonton), and his generalcomfort level is around 64F, so we have an AC on almostyear-round to maintain that level. I've adjusted to it...butstill hate the cold floors during the winter. This calls forslippies!!! :D Too bad I don't have bunny slippers,though...hehe! :D

LOL, Haley our winter has been so mild so far,temperatures around freezing seem to the be the normal as a highlately. But last week when I left for school it was -31*F and there wasat least a -40 windchill. Luckily it warmed up but with the wind andalmost no buildings to walk through on our 15 minute walk back to thecar, it was cold. 2 years ago it got up to 34*F in the spring and I wasoutside in a short sleeved t-shirt and washing hutches.:shock:It sounds nuts to me even right now as it's been sowarm but once you go through a few weeks of 0 and below, 34 seems hot!

LOL, good ole Edmonton! That's my area as well. ;)

I'm the same as Snuffles, I've lived in a coldarea all my life but I start whining when it gets below 30. Ihate winter.

MBB, I know what you mean. After a long cold stretch, on thefirst day above freezing here you can see a lot of people in shorts andt-shirts. But I'm not one of them!:D

HaHa Naturestee. I don't think if Ilived in AZ it'd be any better,not much humidity, but I don'tlike it that hot either (over 100 alot), but alas, I can't stand a/call the time either-burr if below 70.

My hubby always jokes that I need my "parka", even in the summer if thehumidity's down and if it wasn'tvery warm (at least 85F thatday)during the day and we sit out at night, gotta put jeansand sweater on :shock:.

For this time of year - its normally 63 here inSW Texas. However, it hit 30 today and we had 1 or 2" of snow....whichmeans the base is closed, the schools are closed....a lot of things areclosed. We're expected to get another couple of inches overnight Ithink....I know the base is closed tomorrow as are the schools.

Art & I grew up in New England - he was in Northern Maine and Iwas in Ct.....then we lived in Alaska for four years in the late90's.....so to us - cold used to be -10 or something like that.

But right now - 30 feels pretty darn cold!

Peg

P.S. I opened the back door to let some of the does run ontothe back porch where there was snow. They were NOT happy with me - theones who went dashing out just like usual for playtime!

One of them would make like she was going to run out...and someone elsewould take off and cut her off...she'd stop abruptly and they'd gorunning out into the snow. I felt bad for her at first - till Irealized she was BAITING them to do it....and she'd deliberately stopherself and let them take off into the snow.

The rabbits played for maybe 5 minutes and were going, "let us in....we'll behave!"

It's funny. It seems to depend onwhere you live. I grew up in Arizona, and when I was a kid, Ithough 60 was cold.

Now that I live in TX, I picked 20.

There's different types of cold too.

Here in Vancouver it's a very wet cold it just seeps right into yourbones, and it takes forever to warm up. I've never been toAlberta or anywhere else for that matter, but my boyfriend grew upthere. He says that the cold there just sucks the moistureright out of your skin, but he considers over here colder, even thoughthe temperature is colder.

So, cold is all relative, and so is the climate.

--Dawn

Dawn, funny you mention the cold taking themoisture out of your skin. I didn't know that going out inthe cold is as bad as going out in summer w/ humidity. I tendto get very thirsty while out shopping or whatever and need awater. So, I think that's so true.

I too have lived in Anchorage, Alaska as ayounger age for approximately 4 years in the early 90's. ;)Soanything above zero was a heat wave resulting in 'light jackets'.However, those immunities to cold temperatures have left for the mostpart. But, I still wear spring jackets during the winter for themostpart.

When we leftAlaska for Virginia it was a big transition asfar as school closingare related. School neverclosedon the base but came veryclose one time butthe next school day we already had off. This is whenwerecieved 22 inches of snow in 24 hours. When we moved toVirginia the school system closed based on the county ratherthenby schools. Our county hada low amount ofcountry roads, city and mountians so we hadit all! One dayschool closed because there was a storm up in the mountians but thoseon flat lands had sun and40 degree weather.So thatwas an odd adjustment.

Then we moved to Ohio were we live in a county full of country roadswith fields all over the place. Therefore, wefeel the windwhich causes lots of troubles on the roadways during the winter.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is I can handle about 30F whichreally feels colder when you account the windchill. Sometimes Iwish I was in a 'city' again so the wind didn't play a big part in thetemperature and roadways. ;)

Hope all is well down there in Texas, Peg! I'm currently watching aftera mutal friend's animals as they were on a rescue adventure for somedogs. They are somewhere in Texas and are being held up because of anice storm. So hopefully they'll get home soon!

Too true...my husband says that he used to getHORRIBLE static shock up in Edmonton, due to the extreme dryness of thecold (despite the snow).

It's gotten intensly dry here, too...we had to buy a vaporizer the other day to compensate. :?

aurora369 wrote:
There's different types of cold too.

Here in Vancouver it's a very wet cold it just seeps right into yourbones, and it takes forever to warm up. I've never been toAlberta or anywhere else for that matter, but my boyfriend grew upthere. He says that the cold there just stinks the moistureright out of your skin, but he considers over here colder, even thoughthe temperature is colder.

So, cold is all relative, and so is the climate.

--Dawn

Thanks for converting them Dawn:D, I have no idea at all about Fahrenheit, we never ever use it here.

Here in Summer it averages from around 16C to 25C (this is NI, I thinkit'd be a bit higher in England esp the south) and in Winter it rarelygoes below 0, this year it's been quite high, usually up around 10C(unfortunately that means no snow:(, though it did sleet today alittle, so here's hoping!!)

But I can't handle cold at all, below 15 and I'm shivering and my teethare are chattering:rollseyes, which is weird because it's not like I'velived anywhere else:?So that's 60F for me.:)

Thanks for the translation Dawn!;)Forme cold is anything below about 0*C, however it depends on the weather,eg if itis windy (like it has been lately) I get cold intemps below about 6*C.:?This winter has been really mild tho,no snow yet.:rollseyesI blamestupid global warming,this summer was boiling as well, it was unbearably hot for quite awhile!:shock:

I must be a real wimp! Anything below the 50Fstarts to feel really cold, but then again the difference between ourcold and our hot in NZ isn't much,

Latest posts

Back