How cold is cold?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a bit colder than normal here due tothe south pole melting and cooling the sea around here, but really thetemps are so mild in this part of New Zealand. I'm really lucky!

It never gets lower than 3C or higher than 30C 99.999% of the time (orbetween 40 and 85 F). No snow either. It's great living here. Even inthe middle of winter, if you leave a bucket of water outside it willalmost never form an icecap on the top.

Even though I grew up on the East Coast and wegot lots of snow in the wintertime, and now live in Ottawa - where weall live in igloos and use sleddogs to drive to work (bugger of a timerotating the tires!) - I still think that anything below bikini weatheris just too danged cold! Give me warmth, sunshine, and lots ofgreen and I'll be happy as a Raph in poop (see Raph's blog tounderstand that referral). ;)

One summer a few years agoI was sent to NC with somecoworkers to attend a course, and whilst there the temps skyrocketed.We were staying on the campus at Duke U., and decided to rent a car forthe remainder of the week...so off we went to the dealership, having towalk as it was a Sunday and bus service was pretty abysmal. The walktook us about an hour, and by the time we got to our destination Iswear, the other three women looked like melted popsicles...they wereall beet-red, perspiration pouring from them, clothing soaked, huffingand puffing...while I was happy as a clam, saying, 'Oh wow...look atthat old house!' (I love Victorian architecture)! 'Look at that tree!''Isn't this street beautiful? Let's go check out this road!' (If youever want to know what a truly evil glare looks like, justpitch some of these comments at 3 overheated, exhausted middle-agedwomen and watch their faces...not a pretty sight.) I love the heat,thrive on it, while the cold weather makes me want to hibernate for theduration of our annual mini ice-age here.

(And speaking of weather...for anyone concerned with the global warmingissue,check out Al Gore's documentary, 'An InconvenientTruth'. It really is an eye-opener.)

I was born here naturestee, and as much as I want to move south,there's a lot of things I have to take into consideration in order tomove. I've always been drawn to the U.S., from the time I was a littlegirl - I swear it feels as though I belong there - but it isn't easy togain entry into the States. From what I've been told, in order to beable to work there one has to be hired by an employer who can provethat they couldn't find any U.S. applicant trying for the position whocould do just as good a job. I can't say I have any special skills thatemployers would be seeking. There's also the issue of myhealth...medical coverage here is pretty good, and right now I have tobe seen by a radiologist every six months (follow-ups from radiationtreatments for cancer a few years ago). I'm not sure what kind ofmedical coverage I'd be able to get, if I could even qualify to live inthe U.S. So unless I become quite wealthy or happen to marry anAmerican, for now my hands feel sort of tied. There's also the debt Iincurred a few years ago after I became ill...that would definitelyhave to be taken care of before I could consider moving. And the jobI'm in right now has excellent pay (for my level of education),excellent dental and medical benefits, as well as sick leave, pensionplan, etc...so that too makes me hesitate.

I know that moving to the U.S. is not an impossibility for me, butright now I don't even really consider it (aside from wistful thinkingevery so often). :)

aurora369 wrote:
There's different types of cold too.

Here in Vancouver it's a very wet cold it just seeps right into yourbones, and it takes forever to warm up. I've never been toAlberta or anywhere else for that matter, but my boyfriend grew upthere. He says that the cold there just stinks the moistureright out of your skin, but he considers over here colder, even thoughthe temperature is colder.

So, cold is all relative, and so is the climate.

--Dawn
That's true, but once you get to temperatures of -30*C/-22*F or sothere is very little likely hood of their being much moisture in theair. I haven't been to the coast but family friends of ours who liveout there think it's colder here. They say -5*C or so therefeels like -10*C here but they said that any colder than that herefeels colder to them. :ponder:I guess it's a matter ofopinion but I do agree that the moisture in the air does make it feelcolder at warmer temperatures.

Oh and as for the dryness -- I suffer from major staticy hair, LOL.Let's just say my hair takes on a life of it's own in the winter.

Latest posts

Back