How can people move house and leave their animals behind

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheryl

Reaction score
It makes me mad..and i don't know how people can just up and leave and have no consideration for the animal they have given no thought to..and just leave..

I guess these kinds of people aren't connected to their pets..i just don't know what goes through people's minds...don't they stop and think how is the animal gonna feed itself....or do they think someone will come along and take on their responsibility...for crying out loud!

I think about these poor animals that are just left behind...one day the animal has an owner..next their owner disappears..never to return...it's sad.

I say this cause the people down the street moved and just left their cat behind..i have given him a home for the last couple months now..he's a nice boy..very affectionate..lovely eyes..nice colouring

Sometimes people make me so mad!

I agree!

I wonder the same thing when I visit our humane society and the tag reads...owner moving. Moving? Moving!? Are you taking your kids with? Your TV?

I know there extenuating circumstances and some people just can't provide the pet with a home anymore. But more often than not I'm sure it's a case of getting a pet before committing to the work involved. They tire of it and there goes the pet. So sad :(

We had a family move out suddenly in our neighborhood and leave 4dogs behind... They were discovered for almost 2weeks!!! it was only when someone heard some crying, that they call the police... 2 of them had died and the other 2 we very sick :( people make me SO angry! :(

agnesthelion wrote:
I agree!

I wonder the same thing when I visit our humane society and the tag reads...owner moving. Moving? Moving!? Are you taking your kids with? Your TV?

I know there extenuating circumstances and some people just can't provide the pet with a home anymore. But more often than not I'm sure it's a case of getting a pet before committing to the work involved. They tire of it and there goes the pet. So sad :(

I volunteered at a rescue when I was a teenager and a woman came and surrendered her little choc poodle, because she got a new sofa and she no longer matched the sofa!!!!! People are so ignorant! :(

BunMommaD wrote:
agnesthelion wrote:
I agree!

I volunteered at a rescue when I was a teenager and a woman came and surrendered her little choc poodle, because she got a new sofa and she no longer matched the sofa!!!!! People are so ignorant! :(

Wow. No words. :shock:

BunMommaD wrote:
We had a family move out suddenly in our neighborhood and leave 4dogs behind... They were discovered for almost 2weeks!!! it was only when someone heard some crying, that they call the police... 2 of them had died and the other 2 we very sick :( people make me SO angry! :(

Oh my gosh that's heart breaking...how can someone do that!....i guess these kinds of people just have no conscience....it's sad to treat an animal in such a way...it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about the animals that have been left behind and they sit there and wait and wait for their human's to come back....makes me wanna knock some sense into people..

agnesthelion wrote:
I agree!

I also agree...i got my dog Steffy from the animal welfare league...her owners were moving overseas...but it still makes me wonder though..we had steffy for almost 14 years she was the best dog ever...had to put her to sleep a few years ago though due to chronic health issues..

But come on leaving a pet behind...i guess they don't feel guilty for doing such a thing..

Sometimes people are evicted or foreclosed on & can't take the pets, but it doesn't take long to take them to a shelter. Some people are so uninformed they don't realize animals have feelings etc. Any creature that has nerve endings have feelings or pain or hunger etc.

But people do lots of crazy things, to pets, children, etc.

that really is very sad...on top of abandonment neglect is just as bad. my hubbys parents have a neighbor who has this beaaautiful teddy bear looking aussie whose terrified of nearly everyone. at 2 years old they cut his tail off cause they wanted him to have a shorter tail. they let his fur get matted so bad ect and never let him inside. neighbors take care of him. i keep telling hubby when we have a yard im taking him. hes a sweet boy. its hard seeing all these animals all the time, specially on craigslist that need homes and the excuses sometimes are just crazy...like these people that have a dog for 10 years then rehome it...what kind of home do you think a dog that old will get. so sad.

It should be considered a crime to leave any animal behind when someone moves from a home, apartment, etc.

It is heartbreaking to think how those animals feel when more and more time goes by and their owners never come home. Not to mention the even more critical issue of leaving them behind with no one caring for the animal. Basically they are left to starve to death with no chance at survival unless someone finds them and helps them.

So very cruel and so very sad.....makes me really not like people :(

One of our friends in CA used to process foreclosures and she found 2 bunnies left in a garage in the July heat. We named them Ted and Charlene and they were two of the sweetest bunnies we ever had. Ted would even play fetch with a wicker ball.

Larry I remember reading another post from you about Ted the rabbit who fetched...cutest thing I've ever heard.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
One of our friends in CA used to process foreclosures and she found 2 bunnies left in a garage in the July heat. We named them Ted and Charlene and they were two of the sweetest bunnies we ever had. Ted would even play fetch with a wicker ball.

Those two bunnies were very lucky to have made their way to your home :)

A bunny who plays fetch, now thats cool :coolness:

fuzz16 wrote:
that really is very sad...on top of abandonment neglect is just as bad. my hubbys parents have a neighbor who has this beaaautiful teddy bear looking aussie whose terrified of nearly everyone. at 2 years old they cut his tail off cause they wanted him to have a shorter tail. they let his fur get matted so bad ect and never let him inside. neighbors take care of him. i keep telling hubby when we have a yard im taking him. hes a sweet boy. its hard seeing all these animals all the time, specially on craigslist that need homes and the excuses sometimes are just crazy...like these people that have a dog for 10 years then rehome it...what kind of home do you think a dog that old will get. so sad.

Yep i'm with ya there..and i understand completely....there is a website called Gumtree,i suppose it would be like craigslist over there.....anyway all you see are these unwanted animals....and yeah it's sad when you see how old the animal is...i mean i understand about the one's that are moving overseas and that...it's the people that just blatantly don't care..that i have a problem with...like Orlena said it's not that hard to take the animal to the welfare.....they know it's wrong just to leave the animal behind..

luvthempigs wrote:
It should be considered a crime to leave any animal behind when someone moves from a home, apartment, etc.

It is heartbreaking to think how those animals feel when more and more time goes by and their owners never come home. Not to mention the even more critical issue of leaving them behind with no one caring for the animal. Basically they are left to starve to death with no chance at survival unless someone finds them and helps them.

So very cruel and so very sad.....makes me really not like people :(

I agree with you..

Nancy McClelland wrote:

Oh i'm so glad those two bunnies got themselves a wonderful home with you Larry..

Gee even being a real estate agent i can just imagine what they have come across after someone has moved out..

Around here, the rescues and good shelters are all full. they all charge you for surrenders too. I found a dog and took it to the pound hoping itd find its home and they wanted me to pay 100$ to surrender it even though i found it on the side of the road...i took him home and he stayed for a weekend till i found his owners

They charge for strays? I knew they charged if it was your own pet, but a stray? That's crazy.

I don't know if it is the economy or that people are getting stupider, but all the shelters are full here too. I'm taking in two rabbits from Florida that were set to be killed today. They were both turned in because their people were moving. Do you suppose they turned their TV into Best Buy because they were moving and couldn't take it with them?

I hate people :(

Charging to take in strays just leads to people not bothering to take them to a shelter. Maybe the shelter doesn't believe they really are strays. And wouldn't the people bringing in the dog just tie it to the door of the shelter or some such.

In the little town near me, the Post Office employees came in one morning & found a cat had been shoved through a PO Box.

Sadly when people are desperate they do some very desperate and often stupid things. Desperation leads people to not think. When you are losing your home and there are no rentals in your area that allow pets (all too common here in Illinois) you have no choice but to rehome them. If its a case of a roof over your head for your family or your pets then the pets have to be re-homed. To say bet they took their tv...I see your point, but really a landlord isn't going to tell you "Sorry we won't rent to you and your kids if you have a tv". They will say "No dogs allowed". And yes our shelters here charge and they charge ALOT. I understand they have bills to pay. But when someone comes to you (and I've seen this happen) because they need to relinquish their cat that they can no longer feed or care for because they have lost their job, are losing their home, and they are now on welfare trying to feed their kids and the shelter says well yes we'll take your cat but it's $115 relinquish fee. Really?!?! Then they wonder why they find them dumped. Believe me I do NOT agree with people just dumping their pets. And while I do think alot of people are stupid and give them up for dumb reasons, their are ALOT of people right now that have no other alternative but to re-home. And when they are told its an amount to do this that they can't possibly come up with they do dumb things.

Latest posts

Back