How can i stop my rabbit from chewing huge holes in her hutch?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What item(s) can / can't rabbits chew?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jasminebunny

Reaction score
My 2 year old rabbit , jasmine ( just gave birth but was chewing huge holes in her cage way before she was even pregnant)keeps chewing giant holes in her hutch .
How do i get her to stop?

Oki, maybe provide her with: fresh branches, a place for digging, different chew toys with different types of woods and maybe get her a friend.

She might be under stimulated/ bored which causes her to chew the cage up. You can try to find what kind of wood she prefer chewing and give toys made of the same wood.

For example my buck love chewing willow while my doe must have a space to dig, so they won’t eat their hutch up.

How many hours do your doe get in the pen, it can also help extending the time they spend in the pen :)

She's got a large to medium size cage and is allowed to run around in a large pen outside , in my garden .

Could you give actual measurements of the inside of the hutch? Also how often and for how long is she given pen access (on average) and what size is that area? A photo of setup would be even better.

Could you give actual measurements of the inside of the hutch? Also how often and for how long is she given pen access (on average) and what size is that area? A photo of setup would be even better.
200 cm x 180 cm

What does that have to do with chewing? Imho that's more a oral fixation.

Some rabbits like to chew at times. Doesn't matter much how big their hutch is (my Fury destroyed my apartment in a few months time), although boredom might contribute sometimes.

I give them branches of willow, ash, and whatever to chew on, and when they decide to turn their hutch to splinters I install a replaceable soft wood board inside at the bottom of the hutch doors (their favorite chewing spot) or paint things like floor grates with diluted rabbit urine and rinse it, mine don't chew soiled wood, even if it's not noticeable for us.

What does that have to do with chewing? Imho that's more a oral fixation.

Some rabbits like to chew at times. Doesn't matter much how big their hutch is (my Fury destroyed my apartment in a few months time), although boredom might contribute sometimes.

I give them branches of willow, ash, and whatever to chew on, and when they decide to turn their hutch to splinters I install a replaceable soft wood board inside at the bottom of the hutch doors (their favorite chewing spot) or paint things like floor grates with diluted rabbit urine and rinse it, mine don't chew soiled wood, even if it's not noticeable for us.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back