How can I know if my rabbit is pregnant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xindiaaaa

Reaction score
yesterday my buck and doe were together for a few hours and we’re doing their business for a long time. He obviously finished several times, so I separated them for the night. Today I placed them back together and she turned and started humping him and bit him so I immediately separated them. Does this mean she is pregnant? She was also vicious to me and my partner which is extremely unusual as she always runs to us for cuddles. Any help would be appreciated, we’re so confused as to what’s wrong.

Considering you have two posts I'll answer them both. No they aren't bonded. Chasing isn't a good thing, and is stressing your girl out. To be bonded you need to get them fixed. Your female is eventually going to get aggressive towards the male. You can't just put bunnies together and if they chase think it's dandy because other animals do it. Bunnies that are hormonal just want to fight and mate. and if you want a pregnancy by putting two unfixed bunnies together, then congrats you now get to deal with those consequences. If you didn't want them, well you shouldn't have put two unfixed bunnies together. Because male + female + humping = yes, babies. that's basic biology.

@Asriel&Bombur , that isn’t really the right attitude towards someone looking for some help and advice, you can state your opinions without being rude.
@xindiaaaa are you trying to breed them? If you have an entire male and entire female, she very likely will get pregnant, if she isn’t already. You need to separate them now, and wait 30-32 days to know for sure if she is pregnant (i.e. wait and see if she gives birth). You can’t keep them together at all now, he will mate constantly with her (especially as he is very likely mid-puberty right now, with hormones raging). You need to get him castrated and her spayed, keep them separate until hormones wear off (6-8 weeks) then try again to bond them.

@Asriel&Bombur , that isn’t really the right attitude towards someone looking for some help and advice, you can state your opinions without being rude.
@xindiaaaa are you trying to breed them? If you have an entire male and entire female, she very likely will get pregnant, if she isn’t already. You need to separate them now, and wait 30-32 days to know for sure if she is pregnant (i.e. wait and see if she gives birth). You can’t keep them together at all now, he will mate constantly with her (especially as he is very likely mid-puberty right now, with hormones raging). You need to get him castrated and her spayed, keep them separate until hormones wear off (6-8 weeks) then try again to bond them.
Thank you for the advice. I wasn’t trying to breed my female but she doesn’t get on with other females so i thought she would a male. I have booked my buck in for neutering and they have been separated since they first met, but can still see each other through the cages. I will have my doe spayed ASAP, but if she is pregnant I don’t want to harm her babies, but is it kinder to let her have them or spay her?

You said they were together a couple of hours and you saw him mating her... that’s plenty of time to get pregnant. Wait the 30 days, if no kits then get her spayed.
While you are waiting for the ops, and once the ops are done and you are waiting for hormones to dissipate, it would be a good idea to keep them completely separate, so they can’t smell or see each other, so that when they meet to be bonded properly it is a completely new meeting.
Entire females also will rarely get along with other entire females, so I’m not surprised she didn’t get on with them.

You said they were together a couple of hours and you saw him mating her... that’s plenty of time to get pregnant. Wait the 30 days, if no kits then get her spayed.
While you are waiting for the ops, and once the ops are done and you are waiting for hormones to dissipate, it would be a good idea to keep them completely separate, so they can’t smell or see each other, so that when they meet to be bonded properly it is a completely new meeting.
Entire females also will rarely get along with other entire females, so I’m not surprised she didn’t get on with them.
Okay thank you very much for the advice, I have neutered pairs but I’ve never bred rabbits before so I was very confused. Thankyou for not being nasty about it either it’s very kind

Yeah I would suggest you don’t breed them, and if your doe starts showing signs of pregnancy you will need to prepare an area appropriate for her and babies, and make plans for finding homes etc. One step at a time, let’s just hope she isn’t pregnant.

The fact that the doe is trying to attack the buck and is being aggressive towards you could very well indicate she’s pregnant. Note the date and after about 28 days I would suggest you give her a bunch of hay and a nestbox, and wait.

The fact that the doe is trying to attack the buck and is being aggressive towards you could very well indicate she’s pregnant. Note the date and after about 28 days I would suggest you give her a bunch of hay and a nestbox, and wait.
I have separated them and made a nest box yesterday just in case, thank you

Latest posts

Back