How can I improve bun's area?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to make some changes to make the area better for a new bunny! Basically I have a hutch that is 6ft by 5ft by 4ft (approximately) and the door is never closed so my bun uses it as a 'home base' and spends most of her time flopping inside. She has a little area outside her hutch with a mat and some accessories. Overall her entire area is 15 square feet (depending on what shape I make the divider pen) but she gets free roam time for 4 hours in a 13ft by 8ft room and also in a 12ft by 5ft room, (she has access to both rooms for her play time). Anyway i want to make some improvements for her area! Any suggestions are appreciated, I'll leave some pics below <3

(There is a pen on the side to block access to the washing machine and dryer)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 17.27.30.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 17.27.30.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 17.27.40.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 17.27.40.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 17.26.32.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 17.26.32.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
First off, I love your setup! It's great, and you could make some improvements to better it! What I would suggest, to give more room, and if the wall is big enough, you could move the hutch to the back wall where the litter box is, and move the litter box to another corner. I think it would be a little more spacious. To get even more space, you could get rid of the pen and possibly cover the dryer and washer with a large blanket. I'm not sure if you would want to, but if your bunny doesn't like scratching the machines, I think it would be fine! To be honest, it seems like you might be able to free roam her, but it's fine if you can't, some bunny owners aren't able to for various reasons. Take care! I'm sure others will have great answers as well!

Best wishes~
Remy

I'd guess the pen is to keep bunny from squeezing behind the washer/dryer.

Are those 12" tiles on the floor? If so, I'm seeing 5 tiles wide and 6 tiles to end of rug. That would be 30 sq ft. Plus there's a little more room beyond the carpet by the machines. It's a decent size permanent space. And he also gets extra playtime in a larger area? Sounds good to me!

First off, I love your setup! It's great, and you could make some improvements to better it! What I would suggest, to give more room, and if the wall is big enough, you could move the hutch to the back wall where the litter box is, and move the litter box to another corner. I think it would be a little more spacious. To get even more space, you could get rid of the pen and possibly cover the dryer and washer with a large blanket. I'm not sure if you would want to, but if your bunny doesn't like scratching the machines, I think it would be fine! To be honest, it seems like you might be able to free roam her, but it's fine if you can't, some bunny owners aren't able to for various reasons. Take care! I'm sure others will have great answers as well!

Best wishes~
Remy

Thanks! The problem is that my bun has taken a liking to trying to squeeze behind the washing machine and dryer which isn't very safe so I use a pen that she can't squeeze behind :) Thanks for your suggestion! I do actually have the space to move the hutch back so I will definitely do that so she can get more space <3

I'd guess the pen is to keep bunny from squeezing behind the washer/dryer.

Are those 12" tiles on the floor? If so, I'm seeing 5 tiles wide and 6 tiles to end of rug. That would be 30 sq ft. Plus there's a little more room beyond the carpet by the machines. It's a decent size permanent space. And he also gets extra playtime in a larger area? Sounds good to me!

Ah I must have measured wrong! She does get free roam time in our kitchen for a few hours so she isn't just confined to her area :) Thanks for answering <3

I have found a few ways to enrich my buns cage. My bunny loves to dig, so I have filled a high sided bin with with dirt, you could also do sand, and hide bits of veggies and dried leaves for him to find. I also got a piece of 6”O ring tube from a construction side for a tunnel for him. You could also use the cardboard tube they have for concrete forms. If we get any big cardboard boxes, I cut an opening in it to make like a cave.

Attachments

• 6E24431F-85C2-4AA8-A90C-87C32020F4E5.jpeg
    6E24431F-85C2-4AA8-A90C-87C32020F4E5.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 3
I love how much room she has to run around! The only suggestion I can make is that for enrichment and fun, subscribe to a bunny subscription box such as Bunnies That Lunch for a never-ending supply of treats and toys!

They like squeezing behind appliances and furniture because it's like a tunnel. It will help if you provide tunnels. Long cardboard boxes, corrugated drain pipes, etc. Still block access to the washer etc, but having other options will lessen their determination to get back there.

Latest posts

Back