How can I get my rabbit to stop wasting so much hay?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Watermelons

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The Un-Snowy Wet West, British Columbia, Canada
How "boney" is she? Society and even vets are often used to seeing obese animals now as the normal, people freak out at what a FIT animal actually looks like.
You should be able to feel her ribs and spine.
She probably doesn't need BOSS and is as @JBun Said, probably filling up on all this other food she is getting.

Please no hooded litter box. Bigger is fine though. And rabbits need lots of hay!

You live in ome of the horsiest areas in this country so getting good quality hay in bales or flakes should be no issue.

gelliebean

Reaction score
How "boney" is she? Society and even vets are often used to seeing obese animals now as the normal, people freak out at what a FIT animal actually looks like.
You should be able to feel her ribs and spine.
She probably doesn't need BOSS and is as @JBun Said, probably filling up on all this other food she is getting.

Please no hooded litter box. Bigger is fine though. And rabbits need lots of hay!

You live in ome of the horsiest areas in this country so getting good quality hay in bales or flakes should be no issue.
She is definitely underweight. You can feel her scapula and hip bones (feels like just a thin layer of skin on top). She was underweight when I rescued her as a feral and she is still young, 7 almost 8 months (estimated) so once she is finished growing to her adult size she might fill out a bit. Not rabbit related but I have a rotti female that is obviously mixed with something. Looks like a rottweiler but she is petite but a perfect weight. You have no idea how many people stop me on walks and lecture me that she's too skinny.

Gosh I know.. I ride horses and definitely know the quality of food they get. I have no clue why I was under the impression that I had to buy small-pet specific hay, it's totally a label from the market so they can charge it at a premium price. I will probably continue to buy treat hays though to mix it up every once in a while.

Latest posts